Ravens

AP Sources: Ex-Miami coaches know of allegations

201301191618587355636-p2.jpeg

AP Sources: Ex-Miami coaches know of allegations

CORAL GABLES, Fla. (AP) Two former Miami assistant coaches have been told they will be charged with ``unethical conduct'' when the NCAA presents the Hurricanes' athletic department with its notice of allegations, said two people familiar with the situation.

The people spoke to The Associated Press Monday on condition of anonymity because neither the NCAA or Miami have announced the contents of the long-awaited letter, which the Hurricanes may receive at any time. The people say the coaches will be cited for violating NCAA bylaw 10.1, a broad rule that covers conduct and cooperating with investigations. One of the coaches has been told to expect arrival of an actual copy of the allegations on Tuesday, one person told the AP.

Parties who are named in the notice of allegations are entitled to a copy, though it is unclear if all will receive the letter simultaneous to its delivery at Miami. It's unknown how many current and former coaches and staff members will be charged with wrongdoing.

The NCAA does not comment on ongoing investigations. Miami officials have said throughout the investigation, which started in 2011, that the school is cooperating with the NCAA and will decline extensive public comment out of respect to that process.

The people told the AP that Miami still has not seen a final version of the notice of allegations, the arrival of which will essentially bring just the first chapter of this Miami-NCAA saga to a close. Several people involved with the process have either reviewed draft documents or been advised of their upcoming mentions in telephone calls with investigators. Most of those calls took place last week.

Another individual who was interviewed during the joint inquiry told the AP that the NCAA has not been in contact since. That suggests not everyone who at one time was thought to be under investigation will not actually be mentioned in the notice of allegations.

Earlier this month, Miami coach Al Golden said he did not expect the university to be surprised by the NCAA's findings. Several people involved in the investigation said Miami has had representation at many interviews the NCAA conducted with persons it found to be of interest.

A CBSSports.com report published Monday said that the NCAA could not prove former booster and convicted Ponzi scheme architect Nevin Shapiro's claim that former Miami men's basketball coach Frank Haith or a member of his Miami staff paid $10,000 to the family of former Hurricanes' player DeQuan Jones. Shapiro has said that he provided that money.

Jones was suspended by Miami last season after Shapiro's claims were published in August 2011 by Yahoo Sports, then ultimately allowed to return to the team.

CBSSports.com also said Haith will face the ``unethical conduct'' charge because of inconsistencies the NCAA found in his account of Jones' recruitment. CBSSports.com also said Haith will be charged with ``failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance'' because relatives of two players were given impermissible airline travel.

``The University has been in communication with the NCAA regarding their ongoing efforts related to the University of Miami investigation,'' Missouri said in a statement. ``Coach Haith and the University of Missouri continue to cooperate fully. However, we are not at liberty to comment further out of respect for the NCAA process.''

One of those players, current senior Reggie Johnson, was suspended for a game last season after Miami and the NCAA found members of his family accepted what they called ``impermissible travel benefits.'' And guard Durand Scott, the Hurricanes' leading scorer, was for the end of last season and the start of this season after he was also found to have gotten unspecified extra benefits.

Whenever the actual letter arrives, Miami's receipt of the notice of allegations will usher in the start of the sanctions phase.

And that could take months - meaning actual penalties may not be handed down until this summer, or later.

Typically, schools and individuals named in the notice of allegations have 90 days to file a response to the NCAA's findings, all of which would be reviewed by the committee on infractions - which operates separately from the NCAA's investigative arm.

Some of the sanctions have already gone into effect, since they were self-imposed. Miami's football team has missed three postseason games - two bowl games and what would have been an appearance in this season's Atlantic Coast Conference championship game - in response to the investigation, and Golden is holding back a number of scholarships from the 2013 roster as well.

Shapiro, the former booster, is serving a 20-year sentence in federal prison for masterminding a $930 million Ponzi scheme. Virtually all of the individuals who were named by Shapiro in his detailed claims that were published by Yahoo Sports are no longer at the university, and several of the people to whom the NCAA wanted to talk simply refused during the inquiry.

The NCAA inquiry started several months before that August 2011 article.

Quick Links

Mr. Consistency Justin Tucker misses first field goal of the season

justin_tucker_usat.jpg
USA Today Sports Images

Mr. Consistency Justin Tucker misses first field goal of the season

Justin Tucker is the best kicker in the NFL. That much hasn’t changed.

Now that we’re on the same page, it’s time to admit something. He hasn’t looked totally himself as of late. While most of his kicks have still found their way between the uprights, many have looked closer than they should.

That trend culminated with his first miss Sunday against the Texans. Tucker’s attempt on the Ravens’ first drive of the game -- from 43 yards out -- bounced off the right upright.

The miss snapped a streak of 22 consecutive made field goals for Tucker, who is the NFL’s all-time leader in field goal percentage. He is the only kicker in NFL history to convert more than 90% of his field goal attempts.

It’s too soon to be concerned about Tucker going forward. For now, just pick your jaws up off the floor and go back to feeling confident in the Ravens’ most consistent player the next time he jogs out onto the field.

MORE RAVENS NEWS:

Quick Links

Redskins vs. Jets Week 11 Inactives: Guice returns, Richardson out

Redskins vs. Jets Week 11 Inactives: Guice returns, Richardson out

When rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins makes his first start at FedExField vs. the Jets, he'll be without one of his top wide receivers. Veteran Paul Richardson was ruled out Friday with a hamstring injury. Second-year wide receiver Cam Sims has been called up to the 53-man roster from the practice squad. 

Haskins will have running back Derrius Guice to lean on, however. The second-year running back was activated off injured reserve last week and is set to return against the Jets. For the first time, Redskins fans will get to see Haskins, Guice, and standout rookie wideout Terry McLaurin in action together.

Neither tight end Vernon Davis or running back Chris Thompson, two of the team's best offensive weapons, will play vs. New York. Davis will miss his sixth consecutive game, still recovering from a concussion he suffered in Week 4 vs. the Giants. Thompson has still yet to practice since suffering a toe injury against Miami in Week 6 and will miss his fourth consecutive game.

Safety Montae Nicholson, who has not played since Week 6, is active. Earlier this week, he was cooperating with police following a 21-year-old woman's death.

Special teams captain and safety DeShazor Everett is inactive. He has not played since the Redskins Week 5 loss to New England.

Here are the Week 11 inactives.

Redskins vs. Jets Week 11 Inactives

Redskins Inactives:

TE Vernon Davis
RB Chris Thompson
QB Colt McCoy
DL Tim Settle
WR Paul Richardson
OL Ross Pierschbacher
S Deshazor Everett

Jets Inactives:

S Matthias Farley
LB C.J. Mosely
LB Paul Worrilow
CB Darryl Roberts
OL Leo Koloamatangi
CB Nate Hairston
DL Jordan Willis

MORE REDSKINS NEWS: