Orioles

Quick Links

Bundy believes he doesn't have 2016 Orioles made

bundydylan.png

Bundy believes he doesn't have 2016 Orioles made

In four weeks, the Orioles will take Dylan Bundy’s temperature. Bundy and Hunter Harvey are scheduled to throw at next month’s minicamp in Sarasota.

Bundy has thrown just 63 1/3 innings since his June 2013 Tommy John surgery, and was limited to 22 this year in Bowie—none after May because of a sore right shoulder.

Harvey hasn’t pitched competitively since July 2014 because of a strained right flexor mass and broken shin.

After an assessment of Harvey is made in minicamp, the team will decide whether to invite him to major league camp.

As for Bundy, he was shut down in the Arizona Fall League after throwing an inning in two appearances.

“I feel great. Arm’s healthy. I’m really excited about going into 2016 spring training. I’m just going to get in shape. I just started my workouts, and I’ll started throwing next week,” Bundy said at Saturday’s FanFest.

Bundy’s right forearm caused the shutdown. Both the Orioles and Bundy downplayed its severity.

MORE ORIOLES: WHO WILL THE ORIOLES SIGN?

“When you’re first starting to throw again, you’re going to get sore in places. You’ve got to get used to it. I was kind of cautious about it. They told the trainers, and they took care of it,” Bundy said.

Bundy felt strong in breezing through his first scoreless inning, and then in the second one, felt some tightness.

“Come on, give me a break. All I want to do is pitch,” Bundy said after the setback.

“You can’t really work on stuff unless you’re out there pitching.”

Because he’s out of options, Bundy will be on the Orioles’ 25-man opening day roster, as long as he’s healthy, but he doesn’t want to assume that spot.

“I know all the option stuff, and I’m going to make the team, and all that, but I’m going to go into camp just like I have the past four years, trying to make the team,” Bundy said.

Bundy hasn’t pitched in the majors since Sept. 2012.

“It feels like 3 ½, four years, but it really feels longer,” Bundy said. “I can’t really help injuries. You have to stay confident, and hopefully you’ll be fine in the long run.”

NOTE: L.J. Hoes will host his fourth annual Toy Drive on Saturday at Dave & Buster’s in the Arundel Mills Mall. The event, held from 4 to 6 p.m. will benefit St. Ann’s Center for Children, Youth and Families in Hyattsville, Md. Guests are encouraged to donate a toy or make a donation of at least $10.

Quick Links

Orioles' Adam Jones purchases Cal Ripken Jr.'s former estate, per report

download.png
AP Images

Orioles' Adam Jones purchases Cal Ripken Jr.'s former estate, per report

Cal Ripken Jr.'s 25-acre, 8,545 square-foot home went up for auction this past Saturday and the highest bidder was......Adam Jones? 

The center fielder is purchasing the Orioles legend's former Reisterstown, Md. estate, according to The Athletic

Placed on the market in 2016 for $12.5 million, Ripken reduced the price to $9.7 million last year but was still unable to find a willing buyer. The estate was eventually put up for auction and sold to Jones for an undisclosed amount. 

The six bedroom home has 10 full bathrooms, a movie theater, a gym that overlooks an indoor basketball court, a pool and a baseball field with batting cages, a locker room and soaking tubs. One of the tubs was taken from Memorial Stadium and used by Johnny Unitas and Art Donovan, but Ripken is keeping that one. 

What makes this purchase even more interesting is that Jones will become a free agent at the end of the 2018 season, but that does not mean he plans on re-signing with the team. The 32-year old, who is in his last year of a six-year $85.5 million contract, is known to dip his toes in real estate investments and his wife, Audie Fugett, is a Baltimore native. 

The deal is scheduled to close on June 11. 

MORE ORIOLES NEWS: 

Quick Links

David Price's complete game shuts down Baltimore's offense

david_price_usat.jpg
USA TODAY Sports

David Price's complete game shuts down Baltimore's offense

BOSTON -- One strike away from a four-hit shutout, David Price happily settled for a complete game and his strongest outing of the season.

Price struck out eight and held Baltimore to five hits, including two in the ninth when the Orioles broke up the shutout before the Boston left-hander finished them off in a 6-2 victory for the Red Sox on Thursday night.

"He was amazing," Boston manager Alex Cora said. "He was outstanding. You saw it. Bad swings, up, down, in and out, changeup, cutter, sinkers ... that was fun to watch."

J.D. Martinez hit a two-run homer in the first, and Xander Bogaerts homered with two on during a four-run fifth, giving Price more than enough cushion against the struggling Orioles.

Price (4-4) struck out eight and didn't walk a batter while winning consecutive starts for the first time this season. He cruised through the first eight innings before Andrew Susac led off the ninth with a double, the first Baltimore player to reach second base in the game.

Manny Machado spoiled the shutout bid with a two-out homer, but Price finished off Baltimore on Jonathan Schoop's pop-up to center as the Red Sox improved to 4-0 against Baltimore by taking the makeup game that was rained out on Patriots' Day.

"They're a free-swinging team," said Price, who threw just 95 pitches. "You can go out there and do that or you can go out there for three innings and give up a bunch of runs."

Danny Valencia had a pair of hits for the punchless Orioles, who have lost three of four and have the second-fewest wins in the American League. Valencia nearly had a double in the fifth, but got thrown out at second by left fielder Andrew Benintendi, one of several strong defensive plays that helped Price go the distance.

Hanley Ramirez also caught a foul pop on the top step of Boston's dugout in the second and Mookie Betts ran down a fly ball that was headed to the wall in right.

"The defensive plays that I had today, it makes everything a lot easier," Price said.

Kevin Gausman (3-3) went 4 2/3 innings for Baltimore, allowing six runs and eight hits while striking out six and walking two. He was pulled after Bogaerts drove a high fastball out to left with two men on during Boston's four-run fifth.

"We just got into some sticky situations where we just had to dig ourselves out of a hole and we just couldn't," Susac said.

The Orioles also weren't happy with the strike zone, which Susac said forced Gausman to throw some pitches the Red Sox pounced upon.

Manager Buck Showalter agreed with his catcher.

"I'm very biased, but I didn't think he got a fair shake tonight," Showalter said. "There were a lot of pitches that could have and should have gone his way."

MORE ORIOLES' NEWS: