Orioles

Quick Links

Davis says he wants to stay, but hasn't heard from O's

usatsi_8834411.jpg

Davis says he wants to stay, but hasn't heard from O's

BALTIMORE --- The Most Valuable Oriole says that he would like to return to Baltimore. But, Chris Davis is disappointed that the Orioles haven’t shown much interest in keeping him.

In August, executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette said that re-signing Davis was the club’s highest priority.

Davis just doesn’t feel that way.

“I know I said in spring training that I didn’t want to talk about it, I didn’t want to be a distraction, and I don’t think it has, inside the clubhouse. But when you see guys like [Adam Jones] and [J.J.Hardy] who have been locked up in the season and have at least had communications during the season, it’s a little frustrating, a little disappointing,” Davis said.

“But I understand. I understand that’s part of it. I don’t have any hard feelings against Dan or [managing partner Peter Angelos] or anybody. I feel like I’ve really done everything I can to make them want me back so, like I said, it’s up to them.”

On Thursday, Jones who signed an in-season extension in May 2012, said that re-signing Davis should indeed be a priority.

“I really appreciated it. Jonesy and I have grown really close over the years,” Davis said. “We spend so much time together, you grow to love these guys. I really appreciated him doing that. Jonesy’s never been one to bite his tongue. I appreciate that about him.”

Davis was pleased with his second MVO award, considering his 25-game suspension with use of Adderall without a prescription.

“The last couple weeks I thought about it a little bit. Obviously with the way our season has ended up you want to finish up strong. It is something that was important to me especially after last year and everything I went through and trying to come back and bounce back in a big year for me personally. It is extremely important and I’m honored to win the award again and proud to have it.”

Manager Buck Showalter was pleased with Davis’ recognition.

“We couldn’t have been as competitive as we’ve been this year without him. Chris, through the ups and downs and some of the tough periods, he’s been very consistent in his approach and trusted his abilities, trusted the faith that we had in him. He very quietly came in this year, I think he was very disappointed at the right things that happened last year. He wanted to be there for the club all year and be somebody we could count on, and he was,” Showalter said.

Showalter said he wasn’t so sure that talks between the Orioles and Davis’ agent, Scott Boras, hadn’t occurred.

“I’m not sure if he’s aware of all the conversations that may have gone on, OK?” Showalter said.

“We’re not into that. I like our guys. They’re good players. I’d like to keep them. Games still being active here is not the time for those thoughts. Someone asked you, and they will and have, but there’s a lot of things that I don’t know about.

“This time of year, players get asked about it. They say things that they feel, sometimes without the knowledge of a lot of the other  things that may be going on that you’re not aware of. I know a little more than, I think Chris does, but now’s not the time.”  

Boras is known as an aggressive negotiator. He also represents Wei-Yin Chen and Matt Wieters.

“I think the biggest thing for me is to go in the offseason and look back, reflect, really take everything in and then just make the best decision possible. That’s all I can say. I would love to be here. I would love to be back here,” Davis said. “It’s out of my hands now.”

Davis insists he’s not saying goodbye, yet, but the realization that his time in Baltimore is nearly over, well, he’s thought some about that.

“I don’t think I’ve really let everything set in. I don’t think it really will until the final out is made and I’m making my way out of here. Really the last month every time I go up to the plate or I go on deck I hear fans screaming, “Don’t leave,” and “we love you,” and all those kinds of things. Those things tug at my heart and it obviously means a lot to me to know that people are behind me. But I still have a job to do. And I know there’s still three games left and I want to finish up strong. I really do. Especially being at home, being in front of our fans,” Davis said.

“I think a lot of that stuff is going to set in Sunday after the final out is made.”

[RELATED: Chris Davis voted Most Valuable Oriole for second time]

Quick Links

Orioles' Adam Jones purchases Cal Ripken Jr.'s former estate, per report

download.png
AP Images

Orioles' Adam Jones purchases Cal Ripken Jr.'s former estate, per report

Cal Ripken Jr.'s 25-acre, 8,545 square-foot home went up for auction this past Saturday and the highest bidder was......Adam Jones? 

The center fielder is purchasing the Orioles legend's former Reisterstown, Md. estate, according to The Athletic

Placed on the market in 2016 for $12.5 million, Ripken reduced the price to $9.7 million last year but was still unable to find a willing buyer. The estate was eventually put up for auction and sold to Jones for an undisclosed amount. 

The six bedroom home has 10 full bathrooms, a movie theater, a gym that overlooks an indoor basketball court, a pool and a baseball field with batting cages, a locker room and soaking tubs. One of the tubs was taken from Memorial Stadium and used by Johnny Unitas and Art Donovan, but Ripken is keeping that one. 

What makes this purchase even more interesting is that Jones will become a free agent at the end of the 2018 season, but that does not mean he plans on re-signing with the team. The 32-year old, who is in his last year of a six-year $85.5 million contract, is known to dip his toes in real estate investments and his wife, Audie Fugett, is a Baltimore native. 

The deal is scheduled to close on June 11. 

MORE ORIOLES NEWS: 

Quick Links

David Price's complete game shuts down Baltimore's offense

david_price_usat.jpg
USA TODAY Sports

David Price's complete game shuts down Baltimore's offense

BOSTON -- One strike away from a four-hit shutout, David Price happily settled for a complete game and his strongest outing of the season.

Price struck out eight and held Baltimore to five hits, including two in the ninth when the Orioles broke up the shutout before the Boston left-hander finished them off in a 6-2 victory for the Red Sox on Thursday night.

"He was amazing," Boston manager Alex Cora said. "He was outstanding. You saw it. Bad swings, up, down, in and out, changeup, cutter, sinkers ... that was fun to watch."

J.D. Martinez hit a two-run homer in the first, and Xander Bogaerts homered with two on during a four-run fifth, giving Price more than enough cushion against the struggling Orioles.

Price (4-4) struck out eight and didn't walk a batter while winning consecutive starts for the first time this season. He cruised through the first eight innings before Andrew Susac led off the ninth with a double, the first Baltimore player to reach second base in the game.

Manny Machado spoiled the shutout bid with a two-out homer, but Price finished off Baltimore on Jonathan Schoop's pop-up to center as the Red Sox improved to 4-0 against Baltimore by taking the makeup game that was rained out on Patriots' Day.

"They're a free-swinging team," said Price, who threw just 95 pitches. "You can go out there and do that or you can go out there for three innings and give up a bunch of runs."

Danny Valencia had a pair of hits for the punchless Orioles, who have lost three of four and have the second-fewest wins in the American League. Valencia nearly had a double in the fifth, but got thrown out at second by left fielder Andrew Benintendi, one of several strong defensive plays that helped Price go the distance.

Hanley Ramirez also caught a foul pop on the top step of Boston's dugout in the second and Mookie Betts ran down a fly ball that was headed to the wall in right.

"The defensive plays that I had today, it makes everything a lot easier," Price said.

Kevin Gausman (3-3) went 4 2/3 innings for Baltimore, allowing six runs and eight hits while striking out six and walking two. He was pulled after Bogaerts drove a high fastball out to left with two men on during Boston's four-run fifth.

"We just got into some sticky situations where we just had to dig ourselves out of a hole and we just couldn't," Susac said.

The Orioles also weren't happy with the strike zone, which Susac said forced Gausman to throw some pitches the Red Sox pounced upon.

Manager Buck Showalter agreed with his catcher.

"I'm very biased, but I didn't think he got a fair shake tonight," Showalter said. "There were a lot of pitches that could have and should have gone his way."

MORE ORIOLES' NEWS: