Orioles

Quick Links

Duquette says Orioles are trying to re-sign Davis

usatsi_8844112.jpg

Duquette says Orioles are trying to re-sign Davis

BOCA RATON, Fla. – After the first full day of the General Managers meetings, Dan Duquette feels he’s making progress on his goals.

“We’re sizing up the market. We’ve had meetings with a number of clubs the last couple of days, and we’ve got some more meetings scheduled for tonight,” Duquette said.

“We’re trying to assess the market and where we are on some trades, doing some groundwork, and then we met with some agents down here for players we can add to our team.”  

The Orioles executive vice president of baseball operations said that the team is trying to retain some of its free agents.

“We’re going to try to re-sign a couple of our guys. Of course, they’re free agents now. You never know what’s going to happen. We’re active with some of our own players as well as some of the rest of the market,” Duquette said.

Duquette chuckled when he was asked about the fans’ interest in the team re-signing Chris Davis.

RELATED: Here are two trade options if Davis walks out that door

“We’re trying. We’ll see where that goes. Chris obviously has had some good years with the team,” Duquette said. “We’ll do our best.”

Duquette feels that he’s been given the support necessary to get players signed.

“Our club has good resources to field a competitive team, and we’re going to field a good, solid competitive team again in 2016,” he said.

Last week, the Orioles extended qualifying offers to Davis, Wei-Yin Chen and Matt Wieters. All three are expected to reject the $15.8 million offer by Friday’s 5 p.m. deadline.

“The extension of the qualifying offer shows that the club is being aggressive in taking the steps that it needs to put a competitive team on the field and also to tender that quality of offer to those players shows that the club is willing to play in the market,” Duquette said.

There was a report by ESPN.com that the Orioles had shown early interest in Kansas City outfielder Alex Gordon. Duquette declined to specifically address that report.

“It’s not appropriate for clubs to comment on individual players once they’re free agents. I can tell you we’re trying to acquire some outfielders for our team. That’s a need that we’ve identified, and we’re talking to a number of players about those opportunities in Baltimore,” Duquette said.

In talking trades, Duquette is in the early stages of feeling out the market, but he’s clear on the club's needs.

“We made it clear that we’re trying to add a couple of outfielders to our ballclub this year. We’re also looking to add some pitching and pitching depth to the team as well as a catcher,” Duquette said.

Wieters is expected to leave, and Duquette wants a veteran backup, but he likes Caleb Joseph and Steve Clevenger. He had high words of praise for the left-handed Clevenger, who is out of options.

"He's shown he's capable of contributing in the big leagues. We'll have him on our team,” Duquette said.

He’s finding players are willing to consider Baltimore and play for Buck Showalter.

“I think players like Baltimore as a city. The fans are passionate. The ballpark is a good place to go to work, and we have a good manager who the players respect and know that he’s prepared to help the team win every game,” Duquette said.

Duquette also said that the team continues to search for an assistant hitting coach to work with Scott Coolbaugh. He says the team has good candidates and hopes to have a choice in next few weeks.

MORE ORIOLES: Manny Machado wins second Gold Glove at third 

Quick Links

Orioles' Adam Jones purchases Cal Ripken Jr.'s former estate, per report

download.png
AP Images

Orioles' Adam Jones purchases Cal Ripken Jr.'s former estate, per report

Cal Ripken Jr.'s 25-acre, 8,545 square-foot home went up for auction this past Saturday and the highest bidder was......Adam Jones? 

The center fielder is purchasing the Orioles legend's former Reisterstown, Md. estate, according to The Athletic

Placed on the market in 2016 for $12.5 million, Ripken reduced the price to $9.7 million last year but was still unable to find a willing buyer. The estate was eventually put up for auction and sold to Jones for an undisclosed amount. 

The six bedroom home has 10 full bathrooms, a movie theater, a gym that overlooks an indoor basketball court, a pool and a baseball field with batting cages, a locker room and soaking tubs. One of the tubs was taken from Memorial Stadium and used by Johnny Unitas and Art Donovan, but Ripken is keeping that one. 

What makes this purchase even more interesting is that Jones will become a free agent at the end of the 2018 season, but that does not mean he plans on re-signing with the team. The 32-year old, who is in his last year of a six-year $85.5 million contract, is known to dip his toes in real estate investments and his wife, Audie Fugett, is a Baltimore native. 

The deal is scheduled to close on June 11. 

MORE ORIOLES NEWS: 

Quick Links

David Price's complete game shuts down Baltimore's offense

david_price_usat.jpg
USA TODAY Sports

David Price's complete game shuts down Baltimore's offense

BOSTON -- One strike away from a four-hit shutout, David Price happily settled for a complete game and his strongest outing of the season.

Price struck out eight and held Baltimore to five hits, including two in the ninth when the Orioles broke up the shutout before the Boston left-hander finished them off in a 6-2 victory for the Red Sox on Thursday night.

"He was amazing," Boston manager Alex Cora said. "He was outstanding. You saw it. Bad swings, up, down, in and out, changeup, cutter, sinkers ... that was fun to watch."

J.D. Martinez hit a two-run homer in the first, and Xander Bogaerts homered with two on during a four-run fifth, giving Price more than enough cushion against the struggling Orioles.

Price (4-4) struck out eight and didn't walk a batter while winning consecutive starts for the first time this season. He cruised through the first eight innings before Andrew Susac led off the ninth with a double, the first Baltimore player to reach second base in the game.

Manny Machado spoiled the shutout bid with a two-out homer, but Price finished off Baltimore on Jonathan Schoop's pop-up to center as the Red Sox improved to 4-0 against Baltimore by taking the makeup game that was rained out on Patriots' Day.

"They're a free-swinging team," said Price, who threw just 95 pitches. "You can go out there and do that or you can go out there for three innings and give up a bunch of runs."

Danny Valencia had a pair of hits for the punchless Orioles, who have lost three of four and have the second-fewest wins in the American League. Valencia nearly had a double in the fifth, but got thrown out at second by left fielder Andrew Benintendi, one of several strong defensive plays that helped Price go the distance.

Hanley Ramirez also caught a foul pop on the top step of Boston's dugout in the second and Mookie Betts ran down a fly ball that was headed to the wall in right.

"The defensive plays that I had today, it makes everything a lot easier," Price said.

Kevin Gausman (3-3) went 4 2/3 innings for Baltimore, allowing six runs and eight hits while striking out six and walking two. He was pulled after Bogaerts drove a high fastball out to left with two men on during Boston's four-run fifth.

"We just got into some sticky situations where we just had to dig ourselves out of a hole and we just couldn't," Susac said.

The Orioles also weren't happy with the strike zone, which Susac said forced Gausman to throw some pitches the Red Sox pounced upon.

Manager Buck Showalter agreed with his catcher.

"I'm very biased, but I didn't think he got a fair shake tonight," Showalter said. "There were a lot of pitches that could have and should have gone his way."

MORE ORIOLES' NEWS: