Orioles

Quick Links

Uncertainty as Orioles prepare for roster expansion

showalter.png

Uncertainty as Orioles prepare for roster expansion

ARLINGTON, Tex. – Roster expansion is just three days away, and Buck Showalter continues to be asked about it. When the Orioles return on Monday, they’ll make some final decisions.

Because Norfolk is in the playoff picture, the Orioles don’t want to plunder the Tides.

Chaz Roe, who has been on the disabled list since Aug. 10 is scheduled to be activated on Wednesday.

Showalter is eager to have Roe, “which is like getting another one without having to send anybody back down.”

RELATED: Orioles embrace local U.S. Little League champs

Mike Wright is scheduled for another rehab start on Tuesday, the day the rosters expand, but he’ll be added shortly after that.

Showalter and executive vice president of baseball operations Dan Duquette continue to talk about additions.

“I know what I would do. We’ll wait, as we get closer. With Dan, we met before we left and we’ll see what may have changed,” Showalter said.

Dariel Alvarez, who was going to be added is already with the Orioles.

The Orioles will add to the bullpen.

“We’ll probably take Chaz and at least one more, initially. Maybe more. I don’t know. We’ll see what Dan thinks when we get there,” Showalter said.

One name under consideration is Oliver Drake, who spent time with the Orioles earlier this season.

"He's under strong consideration. I want them to focus there and finish off a good season that a lot of those guys have had down there. Oliver's had as good of a statistical year as you want to see a reliever have. He's pretty glad we protected him. He's had that type of year,” Showalter said.

The Orioles could dip down to Bowie to take first baseman Trey Mancini, but the Baysox are in the playoffs, too.

Four outfielders currently with Norfolk have played for the Orioles this month, Junior Lake, David Lough, Nolan Reimold and Henry Urrutia, but it’s unlikely that more than two would be added. Non-roster outfielder Julio Borbon could make an appearance, too.

“If we do that, somebody's got to play in those playoffs. But I think we'll initially start serving what needs we have right away and then go from there. I think we'll be able to solve both needs, the needs of our club and the needs of Norfolk. That's what we're trying to do. But we're going to err on the side of Baltimore,” Showalter said.
 
MORE ORIOLES: Showalter thinks Wieters should be judged differently

Quick Links

Orioles' Adam Jones purchases Cal Ripken Jr.'s former estate, per report

download.png
AP Images

Orioles' Adam Jones purchases Cal Ripken Jr.'s former estate, per report

Cal Ripken Jr.'s 25-acre, 8,545 square-foot home went up for auction this past Saturday and the highest bidder was......Adam Jones? 

The center fielder is purchasing the Orioles legend's former Reisterstown, Md. estate, according to The Athletic

Placed on the market in 2016 for $12.5 million, Ripken reduced the price to $9.7 million last year but was still unable to find a willing buyer. The estate was eventually put up for auction and sold to Jones for an undisclosed amount. 

The six bedroom home has 10 full bathrooms, a movie theater, a gym that overlooks an indoor basketball court, a pool and a baseball field with batting cages, a locker room and soaking tubs. One of the tubs was taken from Memorial Stadium and used by Johnny Unitas and Art Donovan, but Ripken is keeping that one. 

What makes this purchase even more interesting is that Jones will become a free agent at the end of the 2018 season, but that does not mean he plans on re-signing with the team. The 32-year old, who is in his last year of a six-year $85.5 million contract, is known to dip his toes in real estate investments and his wife, Audie Fugett, is a Baltimore native. 

The deal is scheduled to close on June 11. 

MORE ORIOLES NEWS: 

Quick Links

David Price's complete game shuts down Baltimore's offense

david_price_usat.jpg
USA TODAY Sports

David Price's complete game shuts down Baltimore's offense

BOSTON -- One strike away from a four-hit shutout, David Price happily settled for a complete game and his strongest outing of the season.

Price struck out eight and held Baltimore to five hits, including two in the ninth when the Orioles broke up the shutout before the Boston left-hander finished them off in a 6-2 victory for the Red Sox on Thursday night.

"He was amazing," Boston manager Alex Cora said. "He was outstanding. You saw it. Bad swings, up, down, in and out, changeup, cutter, sinkers ... that was fun to watch."

J.D. Martinez hit a two-run homer in the first, and Xander Bogaerts homered with two on during a four-run fifth, giving Price more than enough cushion against the struggling Orioles.

Price (4-4) struck out eight and didn't walk a batter while winning consecutive starts for the first time this season. He cruised through the first eight innings before Andrew Susac led off the ninth with a double, the first Baltimore player to reach second base in the game.

Manny Machado spoiled the shutout bid with a two-out homer, but Price finished off Baltimore on Jonathan Schoop's pop-up to center as the Red Sox improved to 4-0 against Baltimore by taking the makeup game that was rained out on Patriots' Day.

"They're a free-swinging team," said Price, who threw just 95 pitches. "You can go out there and do that or you can go out there for three innings and give up a bunch of runs."

Danny Valencia had a pair of hits for the punchless Orioles, who have lost three of four and have the second-fewest wins in the American League. Valencia nearly had a double in the fifth, but got thrown out at second by left fielder Andrew Benintendi, one of several strong defensive plays that helped Price go the distance.

Hanley Ramirez also caught a foul pop on the top step of Boston's dugout in the second and Mookie Betts ran down a fly ball that was headed to the wall in right.

"The defensive plays that I had today, it makes everything a lot easier," Price said.

Kevin Gausman (3-3) went 4 2/3 innings for Baltimore, allowing six runs and eight hits while striking out six and walking two. He was pulled after Bogaerts drove a high fastball out to left with two men on during Boston's four-run fifth.

"We just got into some sticky situations where we just had to dig ourselves out of a hole and we just couldn't," Susac said.

The Orioles also weren't happy with the strike zone, which Susac said forced Gausman to throw some pitches the Red Sox pounced upon.

Manager Buck Showalter agreed with his catcher.

"I'm very biased, but I didn't think he got a fair shake tonight," Showalter said. "There were a lot of pitches that could have and should have gone his way."

MORE ORIOLES' NEWS: