NEW YORK (AP) It's showtime.
While the San Francisco 49ers and the Baltimore Ravens battle each other on the field during Super Bowl XLVII, advertisers will compete against each on advertising's biggest stage.
The stakes are high, with 30-second spots going for as much as $4 million this year. And more than 111 million viewers are expected to tune in.
About 28 of the 35-plus advertisers released ads early this year, trying to get a head start on capturing the buzz through social media sites. But early buzz is no guarantee viewers will remember your spot the day after the big game. And of course, some advertisers are waiting for Sunday night for the big reveal of their spots, including M&Ms, Chrysler, Oreo and BlackBerry.
``What we see on the night of the game is really important,'' said Kelly O'Keefe, a professor of creative brand management at the Virginia Commonwealth University Brandcenter.
Here are some ads to look for during Super Bowl commercial breaks:
- Samsung is going big with a humorous two-minute ad starring actors Seth Rogen ("The Guilt Trip'') and Paul Rudd ("Role Models'') that features its Galaxy phones and tablets.
-Anheuser-Busch aims for the heartstrings with an ad showing a baby Clydesdale growing up. And Godaddy.com is showing a close up of an extended kiss between supermodel Bar Refaeli and guy wearing glasses.
- Kraft enlists Tracy Morgan from NBC's ``30 Rock'' to introduce its new Mio Fit water enhancing drops in a 30-second ad during the third quarter.
- Best Buy's 30-second ad in the first quarter stars Amy Poehler, of NBC's ``Parks and Recreation,'' asking a Best Buy employee ``lots of questions.''
- The Milk Processor Education Program, known as MilkPep and popular for its ``Got Milk?'' print ads, is featuring actor and professional wrestler Dwayne ``The Rock'' Johnson in a 30-second ad in the second quarter.
- Calvin Klein will show male model Matthew Terry strutting in underwear.
- Gildan Activewear's ad shows a man waking up ``the morning after'' and trying to get his t-shirt off his sleeping companion.
- First-time advertiser Axe's 30-second ad, in the third quarter of the game, shows a woman in the ocean getting rescued by a sexy lifeguard, but going for an astronaut instead.
- Hyundai Motor Group's Kia invents a fanciful way that babies are made, blasting in from a baby planet in its ``Space babies'' ad for the 2014 Sorento crossover.
- The E(asterisk)Trade talking baby will make a seventh appearance in the Big Game.