OWINGS MILLS – News and notes from the Saturday afternoon’s Ravens training camp practice:
- It was a long practice, lasting from 4-7, but coach John Harbaugh was pleased with the intensity, especially from the defense.
- Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith missed practice due to a personal matter, Harbaugh said.
Here’s the lengthy injury list that Harbaugh ran through:
- Defensive end Brent Urban will undergo surgery on his torn biceps, and the recovery time is expected to be 12 to 14 weeks. Harbaugh said the team would decide whether to place Urban or safety Matt Elam (torn biceps) on the injured list for the season, or on the injured list designated to return. Urban also missed all of his rookie season in 2014 due to a serious knee injury during camp.
“It’s a bug-a-boo for him that he’s going to have to overcome,” Harbaugh said. “Knowing this guy, he’s going to fight like crazy to do it. In terms of the long future of is career… he’s going to have to stay healthy.”
- Kelechi Osemele (foot) started practice, but didn’t feel quite right so he stopped.
- Maxx Williams, who got poked in the eye Thursday, went inside to have his eye dialated and did not finish practice.
- Marlon Brown’s back is “clearing up” according to Harbaugh, who anticipated Brown returning next week.
- Harbaugh said rookie wide receiver Breshad Perriman (knee) was “getting closer”, but Perriman has now missed eight consecutive practices. Yet, Harbaugh did not rule out Perriman playing Thursday night in the preseason opener against the Saints.
- Cornerback Kamar Aiken was given the day off due to fatigue.
- Right guard Marshal Yanda and cornerback Jimmy Smith were given a veteran’s day off.
- Offensive linemen John Urschel and Robert Myers both have concussions.
- Cornerback Tray Walker (hamstring) is still trying to work his way back.