Capitals

Bears, Mannelly agree to 1-year extension

Bears, Mannelly agree to 1-year extension

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) The Chicago Bears have agreed to a one-year contract extension with veteran long snapper Patrick Mannelly through 2013.

The team announced the deal Monday.

Mannelly holds the franchise record for games played (230) and seasons (15). He is the only player from the 1998 draft still with the team that picked him.

General manager Phil Emery said Mannelly ``epitomizes'' what the Bears are looking for in terms of ``excellence in performance and great leadership.''

The Bears also waived receiver Dane Sanzenbacher on Monday. He appeared in 20 games over two seasons with Chicago and had 28 catches for 283 yards.

---

Online:http://pro32.ap.org/poll andhttp://twitter.com/AP-NFL

Quick Links

Capitals make another round of cuts sending several players to Hershey

usatsi_11294698.jpg
USA Today Sports

Capitals make another round of cuts sending several players to Hershey

With Hershey Bears training camp set to start on Monday, the Caps have sent a number of players to the AHL in the latest round of roster cuts. Mathias Bau, Hampus Gustafsson, Beck Malenstyn, Mason Mitchell, Brian Pinho, Kristofers Bindulis, Tobias Geisser have all been returned to Hershey. Grant Besse, who was on an AHL contract, has been returned as well. Mark Simpson has been released from his tryout agreement.

Of the players returned, there are no major surprises. The Caps only have room to add a fourth line center and possibly one or two extra forwards as well as a backup goalie and none of the players listed were in serious contention for taking one of those spots.

The moves cut Washington’s roster down to 43. The maximum roster allowed in-season is 23 players, provided the salaries fit under the $79.5 million salary cap ceiling.

The latest round of cuts still leave up for grabs the fourth line center job as Nic Dowd, Travis Boyd and Jayson Megna still remain on the current roster.

After playing four preseason games, the Caps have three more contests remaining before the start of the season. With plenty of prospects still on the roster, you can expect several of those players to be in the lineup for Tuesday’s game in St. Louis.

“For me, it's really important, really important for the overall direction of our organization to have our young players playing games,” head coach Todd Reirden said Friday. “We have to have them playing games. We can easily put out almost our entire roster to play [Friday’s] game, but that is not where we're at. We're about developing players within our organization, seeing where they're at, gauging the success that maybe they've already had in terms of their careers and seeing whether they're ready for this step or not.

“For the first four games you go through for sure a trial and error and you get to really gauge where your prospects are at. I've always felt strongly about that with young players and given them an opportunity to either stay or leave. It is in their hands. They're making the decisions for me.”

 

MORE CAPS NEWS:

Quick Links

Redskins reportedly cut Breshad Perriman, promote Kapri Bibbs

kapri-bibbs-broncos-usat.jpg
USA Today Sports

Redskins reportedly cut Breshad Perriman, promote Kapri Bibbs

After the Redskins signed receivers Michael Floyd and Breshad Perriman earlier this week, many wondered how long the team would carry seven wide receivers on the 53-man roster. The answer turns out to be not very long at all.

According to multiple media reports, the Redskins released Perriman today. He was a first-round draft pick of the Ravens in 2015 and was touted as a rare combination of size (6-2, 215) and speed (4.24 in the 40 at his pro day). But a variety of injuries derailed his career before it got started. Baltimore released him on September 1 and he was a free agent until the Redskins signed him on Monday.

What this week amounted to was a three-day competition between Floyd and Perriman for one roster spot. The Redskins liked Floyd, who has had a more productive NFL career than Perriman, and they made the move.

Floyd is likely to be inactive tomorrow when the Redskins host the Packers. They then have a bye and will see if they can get him involved in the offense when they play the Saints on October 8.

As a corresponding move, the Redskins promoted running back Kapri Bibbs from the practice squad to the 53-man roster. He was very close to making the team when they did the final roster cuts, but he was caught in a numbers game. He will take the running back spot vacated when Rob Kelley was moved to injured reserve earlier this week.

Bibbs likely will join Floyd on the inactive list tomorrow. He is considered to be a third-down back and as long as Chris Thompson is healthy, Bibbs is unlikely to see much action.

MORE REDKINS NEWS: