Over the course of the season, we have seen multiple highlights of Sidney Crosby hitting a puck out of midair for a goal. In Game 3, however, it was Alex Ovechkin who showed his hand-eye coordination as he whacked in the game-winning goal with just 67 seconds remaining in the game.
Washington walked away with the 4-3 Game 3 win on Tuesday and with it, they earned the upper-hand in the series which they now lead 2-1.
Here are the three stars of the game.
3 Stars of Capitals vs. Penguins Game 3
1. Alex Ovechkin: With the game tied at 3 late in the third period, a turnover launched Ovechkin and Nicklas Backstrom on a 2-on-1. Ovechkin got a shot away and hit the post as Matt Murray slid over, but Ovechkin whacked the puck out of midair into the open net for the game-winning goal.
2. Jake Guentzel: It doesn't matter what he did in the regular season, Guentzel is a legitimate star. With a goal and an assist, he now has points in seven straight games. His goal came in the second period when he deflected a shot from Justin Schultz down past Braden Holtby. The highlight reel play, however, came on his assist as he completely fooled Dmitry Orlov with the fancy stick work to set up a goal for Sidney Crosby.
3. Matt Niskanen: Niskanen was responsible for two goals in this game. Yes, the scoresheet says he scored only one, but he saved another as he swept a puck off the goal line that had slipped past Holtby.
Niskanen's goal in the third period was a massive one as he fired a one-timer on Murray to tie the game at 3. Niskanen's shot beat Murray's glove, hit off his leg pad and up in the air slowly landing behind the goal line in the net.
MORE CAPITALS vs. PENGUINS:
- 3 Reasons Why: Caps Close again
- Spitting Mad: Crosby fights back
- Humboldt Strong: Pens honor crash survivor
- Wilson Controversy: Another game, another big hit