A Stanley Cup run doesn’t just happen.
There are a number of spectacular moments along the way that build into a championship. As the Capitals prepare for the 2018-19 season, it’s time to take one last look at the magical 2017-18 season and all the moments that made it so special.
Today’s countdown: The top 5 best games of the 2017-18
Capitals 5 Best Games of the 2017-18 NHL Season
5. Feb. 6, Backstrom scores his 200th goal and the game-winner against Columbus: What a way to score your 200th goal!
The Caps gave up a goal to the Columbus Blue Jackets in the second minute of the game, but Washington scored the next two including a beauty of a move by Tom Wilson to beat Sergei Bobrovsky.
With the score tied at 2, Backstrom scored No. 200 with just 43 seconds left for the game-winner.
4. April 1, Caps seal the metro with a win in Pittsburgh: A win for Washington would seal the Metropolitan Division. A loss would open the door for Pittsburgh to overtake them.
In a game that featured all the firepower of the Caps and Penguins, Philipp Grubauer stole the show. Grubauer robbed Sidney Crosby not once, but twice as Washington went on the clinch its third straight division title in a win that was made even sweeter by the fact that they did it on enemy ice.
3. March 12, Alex Ovechkin scores his 600th goal: Ovechkin entered this game against the Winnipeg Jets just two goals shy of No. 600.
When he scored 599 in the first period, there was no doubt that 600 was not going to be far behind. Sure enough, No. 600 came in the second period. Winnipeg tried to spoil the party, however, by tying the game and forcing overtime, but Evgeny Kuznetsov provided the overtime winner to make sure it was all smiles for Ovechkin and the Caps at the end of the night.
2. Nov. 25, Ovechkin scores a hat trick for Alex Luey: Regardless of what happened in this game, it was going to be a special night. Ovechkin hosted 13-year-old cancer survivor Alex Luey and his family for the Caps’ game in Toronto. Luey was on the bench for warm-ups and got to read the starting lineup to the team.
A special night became an epic one when Ovechkin promised to score a goal for Luey and delivered...three times.
The hat trick helped lead the Caps to the 4-2 win over the Maple Leafs, but really the score was secondary in this game to the real story of Alex and Alex.
1. March 3, the Stadium Series: It’s always a special night when hockey goes outdoors and the Stadium Series game was no different.
Take the excitement of hockey, add in the pageantry of college football and the tradition of a Military Academy and it all leads to something incredible.
Throw in a power outage dance party and a big 5-2 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs and this will be a game no one forgets anytime soon.
MORE CAPITALS NEWS: