Wizards

Georgia QB Murray to return for senior season

Georgia QB Murray to return for senior season

ATLANTA (AP) Georgia quarterback Aaron Murray said Sunday night he is returning for his senior season.

Murray announced on his Twitter account he won't leave early to enter the NFL draft.

``Blessed to be the QB for the Dawgs, not ready to leave just yet. Time to get back to work & help lead this team to a championship,'' Murray said.

Murray, a fourth-year junior, already has graduated. He led Georgia to a 12-2 finish that included a loss to Alabama in the Southeastern Conference championship game and a victory over Nebraska in the Capital One Bowl. Murray threw five touchdown passes in the bowl game.

Murray is the first quarterback in SEC history to pass for 3,000 yards in three straight seasons. He had 3,898 yards passing this season to set a Georgia record, topping Eric Zeier's mark of 3,525 in 1993. Murray threw 36 touchdowns passes and only 10 interceptions and leads the nation with a 174.8 passer rating.

Another top Georgia junior, linebacker Jarvis Jones, has announced he is entering the NFL draft. While Jones is projected to be a high first-round pick, the forecast for Murray was not as clear. Murray likely would have expected to be selected no higher than the second round.

Georgia issued no immediate statement on Murray's decision.

Coach Mark Richt said recently he would support Murray and other juniors no matter their decisions on the draft.

``If these guys choose to stay, I'm thrilled obviously, but if they choose to go I'm their No. 1 fan ether way because I just want what's best for them,'' Richt said. ``I can't say what's best for them. They have to figure out for themselves. They're grown men now.''

Murray's decision means Georgia's offense will return almost all of its top starters from a unit that averaged a school-record 37.8 points.

Georgia loses senior receivers Tavarres King and Marlon Brown but will return receiver Malcolm Mitchell, tailbacks Todd Gurley and Keith Marshall and all five starting offensive linemen.

Quick Links

John Wall takes another step in rehab, facing teammates in practice

John Wall takes another step in rehab, facing teammates in practice

WASHINGTON -- The steady progress continues for John Wall in his rehab from a ruptured left Achilles tendon, as the Wizards point guard is now facing teammates in 4-on-4 drills at practice.

Head coach Scott Brooks described the games as "controlled," noting they were not full-speed or with contact and featured a 10-second shot clock. But that remains a notable step in his road back after he had previously been playing mostly against player development coaches.

"He practiced for the whole practice. He looked great," Brooks said. "There is still a ways to go. But his energy, his enthusiasm, his strength [looks good]. His shot looks better."

Wall, 29, hasn't played in a game since Dec. 26 of 2018. He had surgery on his Achilles on Feb. 12, 2019. He is currently over 11 months into what is typically an 11-to-15 month recovery.

Brooks, though, makes a point to couch positive updates about Wall with patience. The team has indicated he may not play at all this season.

"I don't know if he plays this year," Brooks said. "We can be patient and we're going to be patient because we need him to be right for a lot of years. This is his career and we know how serious that injury is. He's taking it serious."

Part of the equation is the financial commitment the Wizards have made in Wall. He is due roughly $131.5 million over the next three seasons. They want to make sure he is good to go not just for this year, but that he can be effective for the remainder of his contract.

According to Brooks, even having Wall back to this level has added some positive energy to the Wizards' organization.

"I know the excitement is around because he's around and he's looking [good]," Brooks said. "When he comes back, he's going to be the John Wall we all love."

Click here to download the MyTeams App by NBC Sports. Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream Capitals and Wizards games easily from your device.

MORE WIZARDS NEWS:

Quick Links

Houston QB D'Eriq King reportedly transfers to Miami over Maryland

usatsi_13297607.jpg
USA Today Sports Images

Houston QB D'Eriq King reportedly transfers to Miami over Maryland

Just one week after announcing that he had entered the NCAA transfer portal, University of Houston QB D'Eriq King has reportedly chosen Miami over Maryland.

The Athletic's Hurricanes beat writer Manny Navarro reports that King has informed Canes coaches of his decision and intent to start classes Tuesday, Jan. 21. 

At the same time, Mark Berman of Fox26 reported that King has not made a final decision but did indeed like Miami.

 

King was scheduled to visit Miami Friday night and Maryland on Saturday, but Jeff Ermann of InsideMDSports reports that King may have cancelled his visit to second-year head coach Mike Locksley and company last minute after liking Miami. Berman reports that King is still "planning" on visiting College Park.

The Terps struggled to finish 3-9 with Josh Jackson and Tyrell Pigrome under center, combining for 16 touchdown passes and 12 interceptions. Under first-year head coach Manny Diaz, Miami went 6-7 over 2019.

King redshirted this season after playing the maximum four games allowed under new NCAA rules in order to preserve eligibility and transfer for  his senior season. In those four games, King tallied 663 passing yards and six touchdowns. 

The sought-after QB is also just one of three in FBS history that have recorded at least 35 passing touchdowns and 13 rushing touchdowns in a single season.

MORE MARYLAND NEWS: