DeMatha flexed its muscle in a win over Friendship. Good Counsel escaped a challenge from Ryken. Quince Orchard and Wise won in impressive fashion. Here’s how the rest of the top 10 fared:
1. Gonzaga (6-0) | Last: Win (41-6) vs. Leesburg (FL) | Next: Good Counsel, 10/11
Gonzaga utilized a devastating ground game and smothering defense to fly past visiting Leesburg. Behind touchdown runs by Malcolm Terry II and Joseph Hammond Jr., the Eagles led 31-0 at the half.
Next week will be a test against a fourth-ranked Good Counsel team.
2. DeMatha (5-1) | Last: Win (17-0) vs. Friendship | Next: IDLE
DeMatha showed its grit in a hard-fought match-up with Friendship Collegiate Academy. In a bruising battle, the Stags defense registered a fourth consecutive shutout.
South Carolina commit, Marshawn Lloyd electrified the crowd with a 52-yard touchdown reception.
3. Quince Orchard (5-0) | Last: Win (56-0) vs Clarksburg | Next: at Richard Montgomery, 10/11
QO continued its dominance against Clarksburg. They were up 21-0 after one. 49-0 at the half.
On offense, they’re explosive. Defensively, they’re relentless. They are the defending champs for a reason.
4. Good Counsel (5-1) | Last: Win (17-14) vs. Ryken | Next: at Gonzaga, 10/11
Good Counsel found itself down 14-3 in the second quarter to Ryken. Showing poise and determination, the Falcons cut the lead to 17-10 at half. They took the lead in the third and relied on their defense to seal the deal.
They will face Gonzaga next week in a match-up that will tell us a lot about both teams.
5. Wise (5-0) | Last: Win (70-0) at Bladensburg | Next: vs High Point, 10/11
The Pumas put on a show, hanging 70 points on Bladesnburg. Five games into the season, Wise has allowed a total of six points.
6. Westfield (5-0) | Last: Win (53-3) at Woodson | Next: vs. Madison, 10/11
Virginia Tech commit Noah Kim completed an 87-yard touchdown pass to Michelle Howard mak-ing the score 13-0. The Bulldogs never looked back.
Football has three phases, Westfield excelled at special teams as well, returning two kickoffs for scores.
7. Freedom (5-0) | Last: Win (49-0) at Forest Park | Next: Hylton, 10/11
Forest Park was no match for Freedom as the Eagles soared to victory. It was their third shut out in 4 games.
8. Stonebridge (5-0) | Last: Win (55-7) at Rock Ridge | Next: at Riverside, 10/11
Stonebridge led Rock Ridge 34-0 by the end of the 1st quarter. They have Riverside next week, but the DMV has its’ eyes set on their 10/18 match-up with Woodgrove.
9. Broad Run (5-0) | Last: Win (35-7) vs Loudon County | Next: at Loudon Valley, 10/11
In a complete team effort, the Spartans racked 236 yards on the ground and five rushing touchdowns. On defense they held Loudoun County to -12 rush yards and forced 3 turnovers.
10.St. John’s (2-4) | Last: IDLE | Next: at McNamara, 10/12
The Cadets led the top team in the country 21-20 at the half — that lead quickly dissipated.
In his first three possessions of the second half, Alabama commit Bryce Young went 9-for-11 for 171 yards and three touchdowns.
Despite sparks of brilliance by Rakim Jarrett and a run so impressive by Antwain Littleton that DMV native Wale’ showed it love on social media, St.John’s dropped its’ fourth consecutive game — the last three to top 5 teams. They have a bye before gearing up for WCAC play.
Here’s how the rest of the top 25 fared:
11. Northwest (4-0) | Last: Win (49-13) at Gaithersburg | Next: vs Churchill, 10/11
12. North Point (4-1) | Last: Win (70-6) vs Leonardtown | Next: at Great Mills, 10/11
13. Damascus (3-2) | Last: Win (45-0) vs Seneca Valley | Next: at Watkins Mill, 10/11
14. South County (5-0) | Last: Win (54-7) | Next: Woodson, 10/11
15. Natl Christian Aca (5-1) | Last: Loss (42-41) at Steubenville | Next: vs. Central, 10/18
16. Landon (3-1) | Last: Win (35-16) at Maret | Next: at St. Stephen’s | St. Agnes, 10/11
17. Tuscarora (5-1) | Last: Win (31-13) at Stafford | Next: at Heritage, 10/11
18. McNamara (5-1) | Last: Win (38-6 vs. PVI | Next: vs St. John’s, 10/12
19. Friendship (3-3)| Last: Loss (17-0) at DeMatha | Next: at Riverdale Baptist, 10/11
20. Lake Braddock (4-1) | Last: Win (40-12) at Oakton | Next: vs Woodson, 10/11
21. Georgetown Prep (3-2) | Last: Win (27-13) vs Benedictine | Next: at Episcopal, 10/12
22. Dunbar (4-1) | Last: Win (26-14) at H.D. Woodson | Next: at Roosevelt, 10/12
23. Linganore (5-0) | Last: Win (17-0) vs Walkersville | Next: vs Penns Grove (NJ), 10/11
24. Arch Bishop Carroll (4-2) | Last: IDLE | Next: at Bishop O’Connell, 10/12
25. Douglass (5-0) | Last: Win (32-19) vs. Potomac | Next: at Fairmont Heights, 10/11
26. Paint Branch (4-1) | Last: Win (44-0) Wheaton | Next: at Blake, 10/11
27. Huntingtown (5-0) | Last: Win (21-20) at St.Charles | Next: at Chopticon, 10/11
28. Lackey (4-0) | Last: Win (35-14) vs Calvert | Next: at McDonough, 10/11
29. Pallotti ( 6-1) | Last: Win (28-7) at Curley | Next: vs St. Mary’s, 10/11
30. Woodgrove (3-2) | Last: IDLE | Next: vs Briar Woods, 10/11