Good Counsel vs. Friendship lives up to its Game of the Week billing. DeMatha dominates and the Eagles continued to fly.
Here’s how the rest of the top 10 fared:
1. Gonzaga (5-0) | Last: Win (48-7) vs. Plant (FL) | Next: Leesburg (FL), 10/4
When a team exhibits excellent offensive line play, the cohesion amongst the defensive unit and plays mistake-free football, they have an opportunity to be good. Add exemplary coaching and arguably the top quarterback in the country to the mix and there’s potential for greatness. Caleb Williams and the Eagles pummeled Plant Friday night. Critics who claimed last year's WCAC championship was a fluke are growing quieter by the day.
2. DeMatha (4-1) | Last: Win (36-0) vs. Life Christian Academy (VA) | Next: Friendship, 10/4
The Stags steamrolled Life Christian. The one-two punch of Marshawn Lloyd and Sieh Bangura was too much for LCA to handle. DeMatha’s defense registered its third consecutive shutout. The convincing victory sets the stage for what promises to be a bruising battle with No. 13 Friendship.
3. Quince Orchard (4-0) | Last: Win (64-0) at Churchill | Next: Clarksburg, 10/4
The Cougars continue to impress. Much has been said about record-setting running back Marquez Cooper, and deservedly so, but the QO squad is no one-man band. The Cougars defense continued its lights-out play. Led by standouts Charles Bell VI and Demeioun Robinson, QO smothered Churchill, holding them to 69 total yards.
Brian Plummer threw for 249 yards and four touchdowns.
4. Good Counsel (4-1) | Last: Win (21-12) Friendship | Next: St. Mary’s Ryken, 10/4
The Falcons found a way to hold off Friendship. In a game filled with big hits and stellar defensive play, Good Counsel outlasted the Knights. A blocked punt late in the second quarter gave GC a 7-0 lead at the half. Quarterback Chase Williams connected with Jaylen Dotson for a third-quarter score, but it was linebacker Caleb Dennis who closed the door with a game-clinching pick-six.
5. Wise (4-0) | Last: Win (51-6) vs. Bowie | Next: at Bladensburg, 10/5
Wise beat up on Bowie behind stellar performances on both sides of the ball. Jayden Sauray threw for 219 yards and four touchdowns while Dorian Strong and Jalil Farooq tallied 158 and 149 all-purpose yards.
6. Westfield (4-0) | Last: Win (23-7) vs. Stonewall Jackson | Next: at Woodson, 10/4
The Bulldogs defeated previously unbeaten Stonewall 23-7. The Raiders entered the match-up averaging over 40 points per game but were stymied by the Westfield defense.
7. Freedom (4-0) | Last: Win (47-0) at Battlefield | Next: at Forest Park, 10/4
Freedom got out of the blocks fast and refused to relent beating Battlefield by a final score of 47-0.
8. Stonebridge (4-0) | Last: Win (68-9) Freedom (South Riding) | Next: at Rock Ridge, 10/4
The Stonebridge community came out in droves to support their team and the Bulldogs did not disappoint. Stonebridge scored 52 by halftime and defeated Freedom (South Riding) by a final score of 68-9.
9. Broad Run (4-0) | Last: Win (56-7) vs Urbana | Next: Loudon County, 10/4
Quarterback Mitch Griffis may have had the most impressive individual performance of the week-end completing 23-of-28 passes for 344 yards while rushing for 53 more. Senior wide receiver Romy Miner notched seven catches for 152 yards.
10. St. John’s (2-4) | Last: Loss (53-24) Mater Dei (CA) | Next: BYE
The Cadets led the top team in the country 21-20 at the half — that lead quickly dissipated. In his first three possessions of the second half, Alabama commit Bryce Young went 9-for-11 for 171 yards and three touchdowns. Despite sparks of brilliance by Rakim Jarrett and a run so impressive by Antwain Littleton that DMV native Wale showed it love on social media, St. John’s dropped its fourth consecutive game — the last three to top 5 teams. They have a bye before gearing up for WCAC play.
Here’s how the rest of the top 25 fared:
11. Natl Christian Aca (5-0) | Last: Win (2-0 FF) at Eastern | Next: at St. Thomas More, 10/5
12. Northwest (4-0) | Last: Win (41-14) vs Richard Montgomery | Next: at Gaithersburg, 10/4 13. Friendship (3-2)| Last: Loss (21-12) at Good Counsel | Next: at Dematha, 10/4
14. North Point (3-1) | Last: Win (49-7) vs Chopticon | Next: Leonardtown, 10/4
15. Landon (2-1) | Last: Win (13-6) vs Woodberry Forest | Next: at Maret, 10/4
16. Damascus (2-2) | Last: Win (37-0) vs Einstein | Next: vs Seneca Valley, 10/4
17. South County (4-0) | Last: IDLE | Next: at Annandale, 10/4
18. Tuscarora (4-1) | Last: Win (31-7) at Briar Woods | Next: at Stafford, 10/4
19. McNamara (4-1) | Last: Win (27-16) vs. Arch Bishop Carroll| Next: vs PVI, 10/4
20. Oakdale (3-1) | Loss (30-17) vs Linganore | Next: at Elkton, 10/4
21. Lake Braddock (3-1) | Last: Win (49-10) vs Marshall | Next: at Oakton, 10/4
22. Georgetown Prep (2-2) | Last: Win (42-0) vs Riverdale Baptist | Next: Benedictine, 10/4
23. Dunbar (3-1) | Last: IDLE | Next: H.D. Woodson, 10/4
24. Linganore (5-0) | Last: Win (30-17) at Oakdale | Next: Walkersville, 10/4
25. Arch Bishop Carroll (4-2) | Last: Loss (27-16) vs Bishop McNamara | Next: IDLE
26. Woodgrove (3-2) | Last: Loss (48-28) vs Musselman | Next: IDLE
27. Maret (4-0) | Last: Win (41-0) vs Parkside | Next: Landon, 10/4
28. Paint Branch (3-1) | Last: Win (39-7) at Blair | Next: at Blake, 10/4
29. Flowers (2-2) | Last: Win (42-0) vs Parkdale | Next: at Bowie, 10/4
30. Ryken (3-2) | Last: Win (34-14) vs Catholic | Next: at Good Counsel, 10/4
31. Lackey (4-0) | Last: Win (13-6) at Westlake | Next: Calvert, 10/4
- St. John's player goes viral: Check out this play