It's officially summer and even if you can't get to the beach, there's a lot going on in DC on the first weekend in June.
1. Start with the Washington Mystics home opener, Saturday, June 1 at 7:30 PM: It's not only the home opener but the first regular season game at the Entertainment and Sports Arena. There will be a block party before the game, starting at 2 PM with food, a free youth basketball clinic and a chance to win prizes. More information here. (And if you can't make it out to the game, flip on the TV to NBC Sports Washington).
2. DC United takes on San Jose Saturday, 8 PM at Audi Field: Washington is coming off a 3-3 tie to the Chicago Fire and looking to hold onto their spot atop the Eastern Conference. San Jose, in its first-ever visit to Audi Field, is on a two-game win streak. Tickets are still available here (and StubHub and all of those other places).
3. The Washington Spirit battles Utah for first place Saturday, 7 PM at the Maryland SoccerPlex: The Spirit's only loss this season came at the hands of Utah, which is known for its stifling defense. But, with both teams missing a number of key players due to the Women's World Cup, it will be a different game. Tickets start at $20.
4. It's retro sunglasses day at the Orioles on Saturday. The Birds also face off against the Giants at 4:05 PM at Camden Yards on Saturday and 1:05 PM on Sunday (when its "kids run the bases" day, which sounds fun.)
5. Your non-sports event: Hungry? Check out the Taste of Peru: From 10 AM to 6 PM Sunday at the University of the District of Columbia. Tickets and more information here.