Nationals

JJ Watt building off big moment in 2011 playoffs

201301012021732760190-p2.jpeg

JJ Watt building off big moment in 2011 playoffs

HOUSTON (AP) With one mighty swat, J.J. Watt knocked down Andy Dalton's pass, intercepted it and returned it for a touchdown in last year's playoff win over Cincinnati for one of the biggest plays in Texans history.

A year later, the second-year defensive end is one of the league's top defenders, and he'll need another big game to help Houston - which lost three of its last four regular season games - regain its form in a wild-card playoff rematch against Cincinnati.

Watt wasn't too keen on reliving that play Tuesday, though.

``That was last year and this is this year,'' he said. ``I have things to focus on this year. It was a great play, a huge moment in my life, but I'm looking forward to making bigger moments this year.''

He's had plenty of them so far this season, leading the NFL with 20 1/2 sacks. He also had 39 tackles for loss, 16 passes defended, 107 tackles and four forced fumbles.

``You are watching something special,'' coach Gary Kubiak said. ``If you probably went and broke down what's happened over a period of the first two years in this league for a player, I'm not sure many guys could put up the numbers he's put up.''

Watt was having a solid rookie season for Houston in 2011 and had started each game for the Texans. But he was largely unknown outside of Houston before his interception return gave the Texans their first lead in a 31-10 win over the Bengals. It was the first playoff win in franchise history and a play Kubiak called a ``game-changer.''

``He's been really consistent,'' Kubiak said. ``He was a (darn) good rookie. During the playoffs last year, he raised his level of play. He found another gear as a player. It's continued through this season.''

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis remembers the play from Watt well, and has watched him change the course of many other games with his playmaking ability.

``It's kind of a big dagger for us,'' Lewis said. ``We never really overcame it. He's done that a lot. He's made the big sacks and sack fumbles ... you can't put on the tape where he's not doing that.''

Watt finished 2 1/2 sacks shy of breaking Michael Strahan's NFL single-season record of 22 1/2. He was named to his first Pro Bowl recently, and is a top candidate for Defensive Player of the Year. But Watt isn't concerned with individual accolades.

``My season's been a lot of fun, and it's been great. But if we don't go out there and win, if we don't go out there and take care of business in the playoffs, it's just going to be another season for me,'' he said. ``I appreciate all the support I've gotten, all the love I've gotten and obviously the awards and everything, but I want a Super Bowl. That's it.''

The Texans lost to the Ravens in the second round of the playoffs last season. Now they're looking to put the disappointment of the last month behind them when they host the Bengals on Saturday.

Houston intercepted Dalton three times and sacked him four times in last year's win. Watt believes making the Bengals quarterback uncomfortable will again be the key to success.

``The only way I know how to stop a quarterback-receiver combination is to not let the quarterback get it out of his hands, and that's where I come in, and that's where the defensive line comes in,'' Watt said. ``We need to put pressure on him. We need to get after him. We need to fluster him.''

The Bengals are acutely aware of the problems Watt can create. Rookie right guard Kevin Zeitler might know what to expect better than anyone. He, like Watt, went to school at Wisconsin and the two have trained at the same gym.

``(He's) long, athletic, strong,'' Zeitler said. ``He does it all. Watching him on film, it's just insane the things he can do. It's going to be a very tough challenge. We are going to have to put a lot of effort toward stopping him.''

---

AP Sports Writer Joe Kay in Cincinnati contributed to this report.

---

Online:http://pro32.ap.org/poll andhttp://twitter.com/AP-NFL

Quick Links

How will MLB's new extra inning with a runner on second rule work strategically?

How will MLB's new extra inning with a runner on second rule work strategically?

Major League Baseball is going to be bizarre in 2020. A 60-game schedule. The designated hitter in the National League. No fans.

But the change a lot of baseball fans might have the toughest getting used to is the tweak to extra innings. Each team will begin each extra inning with a man on second base. The crew from the Nationals Talk podcast had differing opinions on the new rule.

“I absolutely love it,” NBC Sports Washington's Nick Ashooh said.

Team reporter Todd Dybas did not agree.

“The rule is dumb. It goes against everything that baseball is about.”

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NATIONALS TALK PODCAST

Chase Hughes broke the tie. “I’m a no on the rule too. I’m with Todd.”

What about the strategy of starting with a man on second base? Could team's exploit or alter the ending of the previous frame to set up a new inning? 

The rule states: “The runner placed on second base at the start of each half-inning shall be the player (or a substitute for such player) in the batting order immediately preceding that half-inning’s leadoff hitter.”

Dybas wondered if it would be wise to end the previous inning on purpose if a speedster is at the plate with two outs.

“Would it behoove [Giants'] Billy Hamilton to make the final out? So the next inning he would start at second base?” Hamilton is a career .242 hitting but has 299 stolen bases in 809 games played. 

RELATED: COULD MORE OPT-OUTS BE COMING? 

Frustration will also be inevitable. “I can’t wait to hear from the players on the first team to lose by that rule,” Hughes said. “What are they going to say?” 

2020 has already thrown us plenty of curveballs, the changes to baseball will just be a couple more the sports world will have to adjust to. 

Stay connected to the Nationals with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE NATIONALS NEWS:

Quick Links

Charles Barkley jokingly admits he doesn't know anyone on the Wizards besides John Wall and Bradley Beal

Charles Barkley jokingly admits he doesn't know anyone on the Wizards besides John Wall and Bradley Beal

Without John Wall, Bradley Beal and Davis Bertans, Washington's three best players, the Wizards hopes of making the playoffs in the NBA's Orlando restart have taken a hit.

On Thursday, Wizards coach Scott Brooks joined the Inside the NBA team on TNT, where Charles Barkley genuinely asked him who has to step up for the team when the games begin.

Brooks' response was unexpected, yet also hilarious. Here was the exchange:

Barkley: "Obviously, without John and Bradley, your two best players, give us two names that really need to step up for you guys."

Brooks: "Well, I think we should play that game where you name two guys on our team besides those two guys." 

Barkley: "Let me tell you something, I don't know anybody on your team! So I want you to tell us two players on your team."

To Barkley's credit, much of the national media has not paid any attention to the Wizards this season. The team only had one game on national TV this season, a November clash with the lowly Cleveland Cavaliers.

RELATED: ISH SMITH SAYS BUBBLE FOOD ISN'T THAT BAD

When basketball does resume, the Wizards are six games back of the Orlando Magic for the eighth spot in the East. Washington needs to make up two games over the final eight contests in order to force a play-in game for the conference's final playoff spot.

Stay connected to the Wizards with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE WIZARDS NEWS: