AUSTIN, Texas (AP) Texas point guard Myck Kabongo will miss the Longhorns' season opener against Fresno State while the NCAA investigates his relationship with an agent.
The school's announcement Thursday did not project Kabongo's status beyond Friday night. Texas plays again Monday night. The decision to withhold the sophomore from the opener was a university decision. Neither the NCAA nor the school has ruled on Kabongo's eligibility.
``Until we hear from (the NCAA) we'll continue to keep him out of games,'' coach Rick Barnes said. ``One thing we would never do is do something that would jeopardize the team because if you play a guy who is later ruled ineligible, they take away those games.''
Barnes also said forward Jaylen Bond, Texas' top rebounder, also won't play against Fresno State after injuring his right ankle in practice this week.
``Jaylen's our best rebounder and we'll need someone, or a group, to take care of that,'' Barnes said
The NCAA has raised questions about Kabongo's relationship with Rich Paul, the agent of LeBron James of the Miami Heat. Yahoo! Sports has reported that the NCAA is investigating whether Paul was involved in a trip Kabongo took to Cleveland last spring. The trip included at least one workout with professional trainer Jerry Powell, and the NCAA has questioned who paid for the trip and the workout.
Kabongo started 34 games for Texas last season. He was third on the team in scoring at 9.6 points per game and led the Longhorns by averaging 5.2 assists. He has been projected as a possible first-round draft pick in 2013. He could be declared ineligible for at least part of the season if the NCAA determines he received improper benefits from an agent.
With two starters lost for the opener, Barnes would not project his lineup for Friday night. Kabongo's absence likely means freshman Javan Felix will start at point guard.
``We've got nine guys we've recruited and all nine of them want to play,'' Barnes said.
WASHINGTON — The Capitals bolstered their forward depth and its penalty kill by re-signing two-time Stanley Cup champion Carl Hagelin before he hit unrestricted free agency next month.
Washington has officially re-signed forward Carl Hagelin to a four-year, $11 million contract extension, a move that goes a long way toward re-establishing a third line that had some openings entering the offseason.
Hagelin, 30, was a pending unrestricted free agent. Washington acquired him from the Los Angeles Kings on Feb. 21 just four days before the NHL trade deadline. Hagelin played primarily on the third line – although injuries in the Stanley Cup playoffs pushed him onto the second line.
Hagelin had three goals and 11 assists in 20 regular-season games with the Capitals and became an instant staple on the penalty kill. His 47 minutes, six seconds on the PK in those 20 games were enough to rank sixth among all forwards on the team.
Traded twice last season, Hagelin had a total of five goals and 14 assists with the Capitals, Kings and Pittsburgh Penguins in 58 games. He had a sprained knee (medial collateral ligament) with Los Angeles that kept him out for 20 games.
"[Hagelin] was a good fit,” Washington general manager Brian MacLellan said on April 26. “I thought he fit seamlessly from day one. Really liked him on the third line, the way we used him, we bumped him up obviously with the [T.J.] Oshie injury. Our PK got a lot better. Fits in well with his teammates. It's a really good fit for us, yes."
The Penguins traded Hagelin to the Kings on Nov. 14. He was a key part of Pittsburgh’s back-to-back Stanley Cup winners in 2016 and 2017, which came at the expense of Washington in the playoffs each time.
This was the last year of a four-year, $16 million deal that Hagelin signed with the Anaheim Ducks in 2015. He was always viewed as a likely trade chip for Los Angeles, which finished in last place in the Pacific Division and eventually flipped him to the Capitals.
Even after the disappointing first-round Stanley Cup playoff loss to the Carolina Hurricanes, Hagelin said he was open to re-signing with the Capitals before he hit unrestricted free agency on July 1. His signing follows the trade of defenseman Matt Niskanen on Friday. The NHL Draft is this coming weekend in Vancouver with more moves expected.
“I liked the fact that I got a good look from the coaches,” Hagelin said on April 26 of his time with the Capitals. “I got to play with good players, I got to play in key situations. I felt comfortable here.”
MORE CAPITALS NEWS
The Orioles helped make one family's Father's Day a day that they will never forget.
Specialist Addam Bostwick from Fort George G. Meade United States Army installation surprised his father, former Marine Stephen Bostwick, with a special ceremonial first pitch Sunday afternoon at Camden Yards.
Stephen, who is a four-year veteran of the US Marine Corps, was expecting an Orioles player to catch the first pitch, was shocked to see Addam, who had been deployed in Afghanistan for four months, surprised his father.
MORE ORIOLES NEWS: