Wizards

Langley debuts with 62, leads Sony Open by 1 shot

201301102016729981775-p2.jpeg

Langley debuts with 62, leads Sony Open by 1 shot

HONOLULU (AP) Scott Langley made a rookie debut on the PGA Tour he won't soon forget.

Russell Henley wasn't too shabby, either.

Langley thrived on a penetrating ball flight and a pure putting stroke Thursday for an 8-under 62, giving him a one-shot lead over Henley in the first round of the Sony Open. Henley played in the same group as Langley, and they put on quite a show at Waialae Country Club.

Henley made five birdies on the back nine, holing 15-footers with confidence. But the Georgia grad couldn't keep on the par-5 18th hole when his chip from short of the green came out hot and he had to settle for a two-putt par from 30 feet.

``I'm a young guy, but I'm old enough to know that we have a lot of golf left. We've barely started, and I'm excited about the next few days,'' Langley said.

Langley, a former NCAA champion from Illinois, played bogey-free in a steady wind - nowhere near the gusts of Kapalua last week - and made a couple of long putts.

He holed from 55 feet across the green for eagle on the par-5 ninth, and then took the outright lead on the 16th when a fairway bunker shot landed on the front part of the green, and he rapped in a 30-footer for birdie.

His final birdie came on the 18th with a tough flop shot over a bunker that settled about 6 feet away. He made that for birdie, just like he made putts from similar length for par to keep his round intact.

Scott Piercy had a 64 in the morning, and Tim Clark matched that in the afternoon.

Dustin Johnson, trying to become the first player in 10 years to sweep the Hawaii swing after his win last week at windy Kapalua, finished with a pair of bogeys for a 70.

Langley was not entirely new to big-time golf. He qualified for two U.S. Opens and tied for low amateur - with Henley, no less - at Pebble Beach in 2010.

But considering the nerves he felt on the first tee, and going around this tight course without a bogey, he didn't hesitate to call this round his best ever as a pro.

Adding to the dream day was being alongside Henley, one of his closest friends.

Henley also has a strong pedigree, having won on the Nationwide Tour as an amateur and twice more last year to earn his card.

As they walked up the 16th fairway late in the afternoon, the sun starting to slide toward the Pacific horizon and the skinny palms swaying in the wind, they couldn't help but think back to one year ago.

They were playing in a Hooters Tour event in Florida, Henley missing the cut and Langley barely making it.

``We were on the range trying to help each other find it,'' Langley said. ``We were just walking up 16. You could see the ocean behind, PGA Tour signs everywhere. We looked at each other and realized this is pretty cool. To look back one year ago and to know that we weren't here ... we were in a far different place.''

And now they're the top names on the leaderboard after one round of the first full-field tournament of the year.

They also had company.

Morgan Hoffman, another rookie, opened with a 66 in the morning. Ben Kohles, who turned pro last summer and won his first two starts on the Web.com Tour, had a 67.

There was room for veterans, too.

Piercy made it look like a breeze, especially compared with the vicious gusts last week at the Tournament of Champions that didn't start until Monday and ended 29 hours later on Tuesday. In a more gentle breeze, and on more traditional greens of Waialae, he played bogey-free and had a pair of two-putt birdies from inside 12 feet for a 66.

Clark was the runner-up at the Sony Open two years ago, the last time he was fully healthy. He suffered a mysterious elbow injury that effectively knocked him out for a year. He showed up with minimal expectations at the first tournament of the year for him, and was pleasantly surprised to get around in a bogey-free 64.

``It's going to be an exciting year for me because I do feel like I'm healthy again and can play a full schedule,'' Clark said. ``I'm obviously doing a lot better than I was last year.''

But even Clark couldn't help but notice the names on the leaderboard, mainly because he didn't know who they were. There's always a few rookies to get off to a quick start at the Sony Open. It was rare to see them leading, and with such low scores.

There was a comfort level in Langley's group, however. He and Henley became fast friends after leaving Pebble Beach as low amateurs and flying to Northern Ireland together for the Palmer Cup. Also in their group was Luke Guthrie, who was Langley's roommate at Illinois.

``I think there was a lot of nerves for me the first few holes and I think playing with Scotty and Luke was huge for me, and watching them play well kind of gave me a goal to try to keep up with them, so it was definitely fun feeding off them,'' Henley said.

One group failed to finish before darkness. Seventy players in the 144-man field broke par, a group included a pair from the Champions Tour. Russ Cochran, who won the Senior British Open in 2011, had a 68 and Fred Funk was at 70.

Piercy, the Canadian Open champion, was among 20 players who started their season last week on Maui, even though it took until the fourth day - when the Tournament of Champions was supposed to end - that the tournament actually began.

Then, he was at the course Wednesday for more than eight hours, mostly on the putting greens. ``Seven three-putts and a four-putt last week,'' he said before leaving.

No two courses are more different in consecutive weeks on the PGA Tour than these two - the Plantation Course at Kapalua build on the side of a mountain, with dramatic changes in elevation and fairways some 80 yards wide, the other built along the shores of Oahu, with tight fairways that wind through skinny palms.

And then there was the wind.

``The wind wasn't even blowing today compared to last week,'' Piercy said. ``I just played solid today, hit it in a lot of fairways, hit a lot of greens, made two fairly key putts and took care of the par 5s.''

Quick Links

Survey of NBA general managers reportedly shows divide in how teams want to proceed with season

Survey of NBA general managers reportedly shows divide in how teams want to proceed with season

A conference call between NBA general managers and commissioner Adam Silver on Thursday revealed a divide as to how the GMs think the league should proceed if able to finish the 2019-20 season, according to a report by The Ringer’s Kevin O’Connor.

GMs were given a survey, the results of which were revealed on the call, and according to the report, they were split on several things:

  • Half the general managers voted to skip the rest of the regular season and go straight to the playoffs

  • More than half voted to reseed the playoffs 1 to 16, regardless of conference

  • About 75 percent voted in favor of a play-in tournament for bubble teams to determine the final playoff seeds; the other 25 percent voted in favor of a World Cup-style group stage

The play-in tournament was reported as a potential option by ESPN on Wednesday. Labeled as a “playoffs plus” format, it would allow teams just outside of the playoff picture like the New Orleans Pelicans, Portland Trail Blazers, San Antonio Spurs and Sacramento Kings -- all separated by just 1.5 games -- a way to play themselves into the playoffs if the regular season is in fact canceled. 

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE WIZARDS TALK PODCAST

The Wizards, currently the ninth seed in the Eastern Conference and 5.5 games out of the eighth and final playoff spot, weren’t mentioned in the report, but it did say 20-24 teams would be included. This would likely include Washington.

According to O’Connor, teams with top seeds like the East-leading Bucks and West-leading Lakers favor the play-in option over a group stage, likely because they get an easier matchup against lower-seeded teams and a less difficult path to a title. And because teams will always vote in their own best interest, the survey isn’t an indication of what will ultimately happen.

“There was zero commitment to any one plan,” one of the GMs told O’Connor. “But it was a call to gather more information.”

On Friday, Silver will talk with the league’s board of governors to discuss formats to resume the season, a potential timeline for return, and more. But nothing is expected to be determined on that call either.

Stay connected to the Capitals and Wizards with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE WIZARDS NEWS:

Quick Links

NFL, EA Sports agree to six year extension of Madden video game franchise

NFL, EA Sports agree to six year extension of Madden video game franchise

The Madden franchise will continue to be a part of the gaming universe for at least the next six years.

NFL owners on Thursday approved an extension of their deal with Electronic Arts, continuing a relationship that has existed for 30 years. It was also recently approved by the NFL Players Association.

The current contract was set to expire after the 2021 season. The extension means that EA Sports will continue to be the league's exclusive publisher of football simulation games through 2026.

EA Sports Executive Vice President Cam Weber said both sides had been talking for months. Many wondered what the future of the relationship might be after 2K Sports signed an agreement with the NFL in March to produce non-simulation games.

The current edition of Madden has seen a 30% increase in unique players. According to Electronic Arts, more than 330 million hours of the game have been played since it was released last August. The company has also seen large increases in gameplay during the past couple of months as people have been confined to their homes because of the coronavirus pandemic, with many tournaments taking place among friends and on television.

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE REDSKINS TALK PODCAST

Rachel Hoagland, the league's vice president and head of gaming and esports, said keeping the Madden franchise at the core of their video gaming strategy was important, especially with the emergence of new platforms and gaming systems. Sony and Microsoft have announced new generations of gaming consoles that are expected to debut by the end of the year.

"EA has done a nice job of ensuring the game matches the experience during a game week. The new technology will allow richer content and add more realism," she said.

Madden NFL 21 will come out in early August with the first looks at the game coming next week. 

Kansas City quarterback Patrick Mahomes was last year's cover athlete. Baltimore quarterback and reigning league MVP Lamar Jackson said in April that he would be on the cover this year, but EA Sports has not made an announcement.

Stay connected to the Capitals and Wizards with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS