CLICK HERE FOR GAME 2 OF THE WORLD SERIES HOW TO WATCH
With the Washington Nationals pulling off a clean sweep of the St. Louis Cardinals in the NLCS, there was a rather long break before the team could make its much anticipated World Series appearance. But, that wait has reached its end, as Tuesday marks the beginning of this year's fall classic.
On Saturday night, the Washington Nationals learned of their opponent: the Houston Astros. The AL West division winners took care of the New York Yankees in six games, clinching a berth in the World Series with a walk-off homerun by Jose Altuve. For Houston, this will be the second World Series appearance in three seasons, as the team took home the title in 2017.
But, this team maybe even better than that one. The core of Altuve and Carlos Correa now also features a rising superstar in Alex Bregman and a stellar bat in Michael Brantley to make the lineup one of the most potent. As for the pitching rotation, it's equally as dominant. One could make the case for either Justin Verlander or Gerrit Cole to take home the AL Cy Young, and the Astros have both. Oh, and they can also run out Zack Greinke for good measure. Cole hasn't lost a start since May (yes, you read that right) and while Verlander and Greinke have struggled at times in the postseason, they aren't exactly arms you want to face.
As impressive as Houston is, the Nationals pack their own punch as well. Anthony Rendon, Trea Turner, Juan Soto and NLCS MVP Howie Kendrick star in a lineup that has thrived on timely hitting in October. Add that to the four-headed monster of Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg, Patrick Corbin and Anibal Sanchez that handled the Cardinals with ease, and you have the formula for an exciting World Series.
It will be Scherzer against Cole in Game 1, here's everything you need to know about the series opener.
2019 World Series Game 1: Washington Nationals @ Houston Astros
Date: Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Location: Minute Maid Park, Houston, TX.
Time: 8:08 p.m. ET
TV Channel: FOX
Broadcasters: Joe Buck and John Smoltz
Live Stream: FOX Sports
Radio: 106.7 The Fan (Washington DC Market), ESPN Radio (Nationally)
Weather: 70° F
World Series Schedule:
Tuesday, Oct. 22:
- World Series Game 1: Nationals @ Astros. Time: 8:08 p.m. TV Channel: FOX.
Wednesday, Oct. 23:
- World Series Game 2: Nationals @ Astros. Time: 8:07 p.m. TV Channel: FOX.
Friday, Oct. 25:
- World Series Game 3: Astros @ Nationals. Time: 8:07 p.m. TV Channel: FOX.
Saturday, Oct. 26:
- World Series Game 4: Astros @ Nationals. Time: 8:07 p.m. TV Channel: FOX.
Sunday, Oct. 27:
- World Series Game 5*: Astros @ Nationals. Time: 8:07 p.m. TV Channel: FOX.
Tuesday, Oct. 29:
- World Series Game 6*: Nationals @ Astros. Time: 8:07 p.m. TV Channel: FOX.
Tuesday, Oct. 30:
- World Series Game 7*: Nationals @ Astros. Time: 8:08 p.m. TV Channel: FOX.
MORE NATIONALS NEWS:
- What to Know: World Series
- No real weakness: Houston, we don't have a problem
- Nats chemistry: Washington vets on tight group