The contract discussions between the Washington Nationals and their All-Star third baseman Anthony Rendon continue to make headlines despite a lack of progress, and if Rendon is to be believed, a lack of communication. 

In a Tuesday interview with 106.7 The Fan, Anthony Rendon said he not heard from the Nationals or his agent Scott Boras in a month. Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo refuted that notion Wednesday on The Sports Junkies.

“He better call his agent, because we got a counter-proposal from his agent on July 15, so he better be in contact with him," Rizzo said on The Sports Junkies Wednesday.

Rendon's contract has been the biggest topic since the preseason when contract extension talks began. Since then, Rizzo and the Nationals have been "aggressively" trying to sign Rendon.

“We’ve been in constant communication," Rizzo said. "We’ve had a lot of dialogue with him, we’ve had proposals back and forth like I said, earlier this month, the month of July."

Boras visited Nationals Park in early July just before the All-Star break to reportedly discuss Rendon's contract, as reported by MASN July 6. Two days later, Boras told NBC Sports Washington's Todd Dybas it was the Nationals' move. “Ted and the Lerner family, and the organization, we’ve always worked out things -- usually,” Boras said.

 

It's unclear whose move it seems to be now, but nonetheless, Mike Rizzo says the Nationals are in "constant communication" with Rendon and Boras.

“Mr. Lerner and myself and Scott [Boras], we’re working on it, and so is Mark Lerner, so we’re trying to get it done,” Rizzo said.

The Nationals close out their series against the Atlanta Braves Wednesday afternoon with a 12:05 p.m. first pitch.

MORE BASEBALL NEWS: