Major League Baseball has suspended Nationals infielder Starlin Castro for 30 games without pay, the league announced on Friday, for violating MLB's domestic violence policy.
Castro has also been fined an undisclosed amount.
"My office has completed its investigation into the allegations that Starlin Castro violated Major League Baseball’s Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy," MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said in a statement. "Having reviewed all of the available evidence, I have concluded that Mr. Castro violated our Policy and that discipline is appropriate."
Shortly after MLB announced its ruling, the Nationals released a statement saying they will release Castro at the end of his suspension.
“We take all allegations of abuse and harassment very seriously," the statement read. "We fully support the Commissioner’s decision and will be releasing Starlin Castro upon the completion of his suspension. Per the terms of the policy, we will have no further comment on this matter.”
By rule of the suspension, Castro will be ineligible for the 2021 postseason.
Castro was first placed on MLB's administrative leave on July 16 and has remained away from the Nationals since. According to the Washington Post, the accusation against Castro stems from an incident that occurred earlier this year.
Earlier in July, just days after Castro was placed on administrative leave, Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said the team does not expect Castro to return this season.
Castro has been with Washington since the 2020 season, appearing in 103 games with a batting average of .280 and five home runs.