Nationals

Quick Links

Nationals owner Mark Lerner says he's disappointed but supports delay of season in letter to fans

Nationals owner Mark Lerner says he's disappointed but supports delay of season in letter to fans

On what would've been Opening Day had the MLB season not been delayed by the coronavirus pandemic, Nationals owner Mark Lerner wrote a letter to fans Thursday expressing disappointment that the 2020 season would not begin as previously scheduled.

"It’s been a tough couple of weeks," Lerner wrote Thursday. "Like so many of you, I am extremely disappointed that we will not be watching the Opening Day of the 2020 season today from New York or getting together next Thursday at Nationals Park to celebrate our World Series Championship. However, I completely support the decision made by Major League Baseball and state and local leaders to keep everyone safe at home. Now is the time to pull together as a community and do everything we can to try and mitigate this worldwide pandemic."

The Nationals would have opened the season against the Mets at Citi Field. It was scheduled as a matinee game to be nationally televised, on a day all 30 teams were due to open their respective seasons. Instead, MLB announced Wednesday it would fill the void by streaming a classic game for each team on Thursday as part of its "Opening Day at Home" initiative.

Lerner said the Nationals will work with MLB to determine how to proceed with games that were scheduled to take place through April 24 at Nationals Park, and he'll share that information when it's available.

"As we all look for bright spots in our days, the delayed start of the 2020 season has given me a chance to further savor my memories of the 2019 Postseason and our World Series win!" Lerner wrote. "I hope you will also look to your favorite postseason moments as a continued source of happiness to soften the likely hardships of the days ahead."

Stay connected to the Capitals and Wizards with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE NATIONALS NEWS:

Quick Links

See inside former National Jayson Werth's incredible $7 million home listed for sale

outside.jpg
Realtor.com

See inside former National Jayson Werth's incredible $7 million home listed for sale

Ever wanted to live in a giant house that also belonged to former Nationals outfielder Jayson Werth? Now is your chance.

Werth's estate in McLean, Virginia is currently on the market for $7 million, according to SFGate.com and Realtor.com. The 15,250-square-foot home with six bedrooms was initially listed for $8 million last fall but has since dropped in price. Werth purchased the home in 2011 after signing a seven-year deal with the Nationals.

With his time in Washington and in the MLB coming to an end after the 2017 season, Werth is now looking to sell his impressive house and land. The home has spacious rooms, a large kitchen and flawless design, making it as beautiful inside as it looks outside. 

If the setup of the house isn't enough, Werth's estate also features four acres of land. In the backyard, a massive pool and outdoor patio loaded with all the barbecue essentials will make the summer months rather enjoyable for the new owners.

Werth is mostly known for his success at the plate, in the field and with growing facial hair, but it looks like he had an eye for home decor as well.

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NATIONALS TALK PODCAST

Stay connected to the Capitals and Wizards with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE NATIONALS NEWS:

Quick Links

Report: MLB players seeking more games, no additional pay cuts in counter proposal

Report: MLB players seeking more games, no additional pay cuts in counter proposal

As the NHL and NBA make progress on their plans to return to play, Major League Baseball continues to wrangle over financial issues. 

On Tuesday, MLB owners submitted an economic proposal to the MLBPA that included significant pay cuts to the league's top-earners.

Safe to say, the proposal wasn't well-received by the players. Max Scherzer, who's a member of the union's eight-player executive subcommittee, took to Twitter Wednesday to say no further salary reductions would be accepted by the players. 

Instead of formally responding to the owner's proposal, the players union reportedly plans to submit a counter offer. According to ESPN's Jeff Passan, the players will respond with a plan by the end of the week that includes more than 100 games and a guarantee of full prorated salaries for the 2020 season.

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NATIONALS TALK PODCAST

This is the owner's second consecutive economic proposal including further salary reductions for players. The owners and players already negotiated prorated salaries scaled to the number of games played in 2020. 

Players like Max Scherzer, Stephen Strasburg and Mike Trout would bear the heaviest burden according to the reported pay scale. 

$563,501 to $1 million paid at 72.5%
$1,000,001 to $5 million paid at 50%
$5,000,001 to $10 million paid at 40%
$10,000,001 to $20 million paid at 30%
$20,000,001 and up paid at 20%

Scherzer was set to make $28.7 million in salary this season. Under the proposed structure, he'd make $4.33 million for the season. 

Owners have reportedly stated they would lose a significant amount of money if games are played in 2020 and players are paid on prorated salaries. However, the players union is skeptical of the data shared to them by the owners, according to Passan's story. 

Stay connected to the Capitals and Wizards with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE NATIONALS NEWS: