The Washington Nationals do not have more positive coronavirus tests as of noon on Friday, despite some confusion following a press conference with Mayor Muriel Bowser and her staff.
Chris Rodriguez, Director of the Homeland Security and Emergency Management Agency, was asked if the Nationals were in compliance with the District’s quarantine protocol after Juan Soto’s positive test result was announced Thursday morning.
“When we issued the waiver to the Nationals, the first waiver was on June 30, then a follow-up letter on July 16 where we clarified our requirements, the requirements of D.C. health,” Rodriguez said Friday. “I can’t speak to a specific case, but to date, the Nationals have been in compliance with our requirements. For each case, the positive cases are reported to the D.C. Department of Health.”
Confusion followed when Rodriguez was asked if Soto was the only case the team reported to the city. The organization is required to report all positive tests to the city.
“It’s not the only case,” Rodriguez said.
Which is a known fact. The Nationals previously reported two positive tests. But, the generic language, and subsequent lack of context via reports on social media, made it sound like the Nationals may have new positive tests since Soto.
A Nationals spokesperson said they have no new positive tests.
The Nationals are working under a waiver as an “essential business” in order to participate in the 2020 Major League Baseball season within District boundaries. The mayor announced a new 14-day self-quarantine order Friday for those who were coming to Washington from “high-risk areas,” though it will not apply to the Nationals -- or those coming to Nationals Park -- because they are operating under an “essential business” waiver.
Stay connected to the Nationals with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.
MORE NATIONALS NEWS: