When the Capitals won the Stanley Cup in 2018, they took “partying hard” to a new level, delighting countless fans with their joyous antics.
If the state of the Commissioner’s Trophy, awarded to MLB’s World Series champion each year is at all representative, the Nationals are hoping to replicate that same enthusiasm when celebrating their own title.
Hey DC, we’re coming for ya!! 🍾 #FightFinished #Nats pic.twitter.com/WCZArDWN4m— Erica Scherzer (@emaysway) October 31, 2019
Notice the trophy, which is already missing three flagpoles.
The Nationals only just arrived back in Washington, D.C. Thursday night, but they already are bringing back their trophy in more pieces than one.
Of course, Major League Baseball will be sure to make any necessary repairs prior to seeing it enter the Nationals’ trophy case, but still. Any chances fans may have to take selfies with players who have the trophy will look a little different with a broken trophy.
Nationals closer Sean Doolittle weighed in with an evaluation of the trophy.
World Series trophy review:
- v shiny
- hard to drink from (we tried)
- impossible to eat cereal out of
- heavier than it looks
- can be worn like a hat
- still in one piece (barely)
- says 2019 World Champions on it
- IS BACK IN DC AND WE CAN’T WAIT TO SHARE IT WITH YOU pic.twitter.com/aU5VpF9WGn— Obi-Sean Kenobi Doolittle (@whatwouldDOOdo) November 1, 2019
Ultimately, this looks like a sign of an epic celebratory winter to come for the Nationals, and they earned every second of it. Hopefully they can keep what remains of their trophy in one piece.
MORE NATIONALS NEWS:
- Legends: Strasburg, Soto will be remembered as all-time greats
- Best scene: Nats celebrate first World Series win
- MVP: Strasburg earns title with two recorded wins
- Mark Your Calendars: Parade set for Saturday
- For Davey: Nats 'cured his heart'