Nationals star outfielder Juan Soto is not participating in team drills on Tuesday after coming in contact with a teammate who had tested positive for coronavirus, Washington Post’s Jesse Dougherty reported. He is now in isolation away from the Nationals Park.
It’s unclear who Soto came in contact with, but the Nationals announced Sunday two players had tested positive for coronavirus during the team’s initial intake on July 1. The unnamed players were quarantined.
According to Dougherty, Nationals manager Davey Martinez said there had been complications with some of the players who had traveled from out of the country for summer training. This would’ve included Soto, who traveled back from his native Dominican Republic, as did a handful of other Nationals.
Summer camp workouts at Nats Park were canceled Monday as the team awaited the results from another round of testing that took place Friday. Washington didn’t want to risk putting more players at risk.
“Seventy-two hours later, we have yet to receive the results of those tests,” GM Mike Rizzo said in a statement Monday. “We cannot have our players and staff work at risk. Therefore, we have cancelled our team workout scheduled for this morning. We will not sacrifice the health and safety of our players, staff and their families. Without accurate and timely testing it is simply not safe for us to continue with Summer Camp. Major League Baseball needs to work quickly to resolve issues with their process and their lab. Otherwise, Summer Camp and the 2020 Season are at risk.”
Several other teams had also canceled workouts Monday. Major League Baseball responded by touting the amount of testing it has done and vowing to fix delays from over the weekend.
The Nationals are scheduled to open the season on July 23 at home against the New York Yankees.
Stay connected to the Nationals with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.
MORE NATIONALS NEWS: