The Nationals don’t expect third baseman Starlin Castro to return to the ballclub this season after Major League Baseball placed him on administrative leave Friday to investigate a domestic violence accusation against him, President of Baseball Operations and General Manager Mike Rizzo told reporters Tuesday.
According to the Washington Post, the accusation against Castro was made in response to a situation that occurred earlier this year. The Nationals placed Castro on the restricted list in June, when manager Davey Martinez said only that the infielder needed to address a family matter.
On Friday, Martinez said the club would’ve acted differently last month had it known about the incident.
“I would have never, ever — this is a totally different situation — if I would have known about this a month ago, we would have had a different conversation, I can tell you that,” Martinez said on a Zoom call. “Until he goes through that process, I really have nothing to say to him or anybody about it.”
Castro was accused of sexual assault stemming from an incident in 2011, though no charges were filed due to insufficient evidence. He played under then-bench coach Martinez with the Chicago Cubs for one season four years later before being traded to the New York Yankees.
The Nationals signed him over the 2019-20 offseason and he’s since appeared in 103 games for them, hitting .280 with five home runs.