Nationals

NBA suspends Anthony 1 game for postgame actions

201301071946711964365-p2.jpeg

NBA suspends Anthony 1 game for postgame actions

NEW YORK (AP) Carmelo Anthony was suspended one game by the NBA on Wednesday for confronting Kevin Garnett after the New York Knicks' loss to Boston on Monday.

Anthony, who was angry about Garnett's choice of words during a fourth-quarter altercation, went toward the Celtics' locker room after the game and later waited for Garnett outside Boston's team bus.

Anthony didn't believe he would be suspended because he said he was just looking to talk to Garnett, not fight. But NBA executive vice president of operations Stu Jackson ruled otherwise.

``There are no circumstances in which it is acceptable for a player to confront an opponent after a game,'' Jackson said in a statement. ``Carmelo Anthony attempted to engage with Kevin Garnett multiple times after Monday's game and therefore a suspension was warranted.''

Anthony will miss the Knicks' nationally televised game at Indiana on Thursday and lose about $176,700 of his $19.4 million salary.

Jackson said Anthony confronted Garnett ``in the arena tunnel, near the players' locker rooms, and in the parking garage.'' The incident by the bus, with New York police and Knicks coach Mike Woodson nearby, was captured on videotape.

Anthony and Garnett received technical fouls with 9:03 remaining in the Celtics' 102-96 victory, arguing with each other from the baseline to midcourt after a physical exchange on Boston's previous possession. After the game, Anthony went the wrong direction toward the Celtics' locker room in hopes of finding Garnett.

On Tuesday, Anthony said he was upset because of what Garnett said, though wouldn't elaborate on what it was.

``There's certain things that you just don't say to men, another man,'' said Anthony, who is married to actress LaLa Vasquez.

``It's over with for me. Whatever happened last night, happened. The words that was being said between me and Garnett, it happened, can't take that away,'' Anthony added. ``I lost my cool yesterday, I accept that, but there's just certain things that push certain people's buttons.''

Anthony was clearly affected by Garnett, shooting just 6 of 26 from the field after averaging 36 points last week while winning Eastern Conference player of the week honors. He said the All-Star forwards eventually spoke and sorted out the matter.

Anthony will be eligible to return Friday at home against Chicago. He was ejected from the last meeting with the Bulls after receiving two of his eight technical fouls this season.

Garnett was not penalized.

Quick Links

Former Astros RP Will Harris dons ‘District of Champions’ T-shirt for Nationals press conference

Former Astros RP Will Harris dons ‘District of Champions’ T-shirt for Nationals press conference

Will Harris may have been the pitcher who served up Howie Kendrick’s go-ahead home run in Game 7 of last fall’s World Series, but he apparently isn’t holding any grudges about the outcome.

Harris, who spent five years with the Houston Astros before signing a three-year deal with the Nationals over the winter, sat down for a Zoom press conference Tuesday in what his first chance to speak with the media since Summer Camp began. He wore a T-shirt that was a bit surprising for a player who was on the losing end of Washington’s title run.

The shirt reads “District of Champions,” a nod to D.C. winning titles in MLB, NHL and WNBA over the last three years. To his credit, Harris hasn’t shied away from talking about his performance in Game 7.

RELATED: DANIEL HUDSON ISN’T SURE A 60-GAME MLB SEASON CAN DETERMINE THE BEST TEAM

“Look, I took the L in Game 7, that’s never gonna change,” Harris said on MLB Network in January. “But at the same time, I plan on winning my next Game 7 and I plan on winning more World Series, and I think Washington is a place I can do that.”

As if there was any doubt before, it appears that Harris has completely committed to his ballclub and D.C. as a sports town.

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NATIONALS TALK PODCAST

Stay connected to the Nationals with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE NATIONALS NEWS:

Natasha Cloud rips WNBA's decision to decline Elena Delle Donne's opt-out request

Natasha Cloud rips WNBA's decision to decline Elena Delle Donne's opt-out request

Surprising news broke Monday evening when Washington Mystics forward Elena Delle Donne's request to opt-out of the 2020 WNBA season was declined. The two-time WNBA MVP suffers from Lyme disease, but her condition was not on the CDC's list of underlying conditions that puts someone at additional risk for COVID-19. 

Delle Donne's teammate, Mystics guard Natasha Cloud, was also stunned by the league's decision. On Monday evening, Cloud posted an Instagram story in support of Delle Donne, asking the WNBA: "how do you deny someone with Lyme disease?"

Cloud doubled-down on Tuesday, taking to Twitter to express her dismay of the WNBA's decision.

"It’s bull----," Cloud wrote. "@WNBA either play or risk her life...what do we stand for? Cause apparently it’s not the players."

If the league doesn't reverse its ruling, Delle Donne must play the 2020 season to receive her full salary. In her statement Monday, she said she wants to play but her personal physician advises against it.

"I love my team, and we had an unbelievable season last year, and I want to play! But the question is whether or not the WNBA bubble is safe for me," Delle Donne said. "My personal physician who has treated me for Lyme disease for years advised me that I'm at high risk for contracting and having complications from COVID-19."

Cloud, who had a career season for Washington last year, has already decided to opt-out of the 2020 season in order to continue her commitment to raising awareness of social justice issues and the fight for racial equality. The guard signed an endorsement deal with Converse earlier this offseason, and the brand will pay her entire salary this season.

MORE MYSTICS NEWS: