NCAA

Georgetown loses local 2020 four-star recruit as Terrance Williams decommits

Georgetown loses local 2020 four-star recruit as Terrance Williams decommits

Gonzaga College High School senior forward Terrance Williams has opened his recruitment after decommitting from Georgetown on Thursday.

https://twitter.com/_flyyt/status/1202677570073976832

In a post on his Twitter account, Williams says "[a]fter consultation with my family and coach, I have made the decision to reopen my college recruitment. I thank Coach (Patrick) Ewing, the Georgetown Univesity coaching staff, and the great Hoya fans for their interest and support. I wish the team all the best for the remainder of the season and beyond."

Williams, a four-star recruit, was one of the top commitments in the Ewing era as head coach. The 6-6 power forward was ranked 78th overall in the 2020 class and 15th for his position according to ESPN. More notably, he is one of the top five players out of his class from the D.C. area. His commitment to Georgetown represented a great local grab and a return to fostering the talent within the DMV.

Williams did not sign a letter of intent to attend Georgetown earlier this fall for the early signing period, despite committing to the program in July.

Before his commitment, Notre Dame, George Washington, Towson, George Mason, Long Beach State, Michigan, DePaul, N.C. State, South Carolina, Stanford, and Virginia had shown interest according to Verbal Commits

Williams' decommitment comes in wake of players facing legal issues and two players leaving the program altogether. Only three days separate Williams' decision and the announcement from the team. The reason for starting point guard James Akinjo leaving the Hoyas is still unknown. 

Georgetown still faces uncertainty as they figure how to navigate the next several months of the season. As for now, it has resulted in three players leaving the program. 

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren says 'no guarantee' of a fall sports season

Big Ten commissioner Kevin Warren says 'no guarantee' of a fall sports season

The Big Ten released its 2020 football schedule Wednesday, with games beginning as originally scheduled on September 5. Each team will only play those within their conference on a 10-game slate. 

While the schedule release may signal that the Big Ten is pushing forward while other leagues like the Pac-12 face threats of players opting out, commissioner Kevin Warren urged that this decision was to keep as many options open as possible. 

"What went into the decision was to afford us the best possible opportunity to be as flexible as we possibly can," Warren said on Big Ten Network.

Along with the schedule, the Big Ten also released its health and safety guidelines for teams returning to the field. Among the protocols, players and staff will be tested twice per week and fans will not be allowed to attend games. The increased flexibility the Big Ten has will allow them to delay or cancel the season if necessary.

RELATED: COLORADO STATE INVESTIGATING ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT FOR DISREGARDING COVID-19 PROTOCOLS

"There is no guarantee that we'll have fall sports or a football season," Warren said. 

Much like the professional sports leagues already attempting to execute their seasons in the middle of a raging pandemic, the Big Ten's success will likely depend on players and coaches strictly following safety protocols. 

Maryland's schedule begins with a road matchup with Iowa and then the Terps are scheduled to return home for two weeks to play Michigan State and Rutgers. Their schedule gets pretty rough in October where they have to play Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan in three out of four weeks. 

Stay connected with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE NCAA NEWS:

UConn becomes first FBS school to cancel 2020 football season

UConn becomes first FBS school to cancel 2020 football season

STORRS, Conn. (AP) -- UConn canceled its 2020-2021 football season Wednesday, becoming the first FBS program to suspend football because of the coronavirus pandemic, as other schools had taken the Huskies off their schedules and the governor was reluctant to allow UConn to travel to states with high infection rates.

"After receiving guidance from state and public health officials and consulting with football student-athletes, we've decided that we will not compete on the gridiron this season," athletic director David Benedict said. "The safety challenges created by COVID-19 place our football student-athletes at an unacceptable level of risk."

UConn had been scheduled to play its first season as an independent after leaving the American Athletic Conference.

The Huskies had already been taken off the schedules of Illinois, Indiana, Maine and Mississippi by those schools, and games against North Carolina and Virginia remained uncertain, UConn officials said. Many of the Power Five conferences are playing league-only games this season.

RELATED: PAC-12 PLAYERS THREATEN TO SIT OUT THE SEASON

The Huskies began spring practice on Feb. 4 and were one of the only teams in the country to complete a full spring schedule. The team returned to campus in early July and no one has tested positive for the coronavirus, UConn officials said.

The football team will remain enrolled in classes either in-person or virtually, and will keep access to facilities and support services under NCAA rules.

"We engaged and listened to the concerns of our football student-athletes and feel this is the best decision for their health, safety, and well-being," coach Randy Edsall said. "Our team is united in this approach and we will use this time to further player development within the program and gear ourselves to the 2021 season."

Connecticut Gov. Ned Lamont had expressed reluctance to allow the football team to travel to any state with a high virus infection rate. He said the team would be subject to the state's 14-day quarantine rule upon its return to Storrs from away games.

Connecticut, New York and New Jersey have travel advisories that require visitors from more than 30 states and Puerto Rico to quarantine for 14 days, with certain exceptions.

UConn officials said they will be reaching out to season ticket holders in the coming days to explain refunds and other options.

Stay connected with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE NCAA NEWS: