Nationals

Official: Vikings have right for seat licenses

Official: Vikings have right for seat licenses

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) A top state official overseeing the new Minnesota Vikings stadium said Friday she expects personal seat licenses to be priced in line with fees charged at the Twins' Target Field and the University of Minnesota's TCF Bank Stadium - if the team pursues the fees to help pay its share of the $975 million construction cost.

The Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority is required to sign off on major decisions as the stadium is built.

Chairwoman Michelle Kelm-Helgen said the authority and team will work together on seat fees, which the Vikings are considering as part of their $477 million share of construction. She said the stadium law allows the team to pursue the fees, which Gov. Mark Dayton criticized earlier this week as a cost shift that will hit fans. Dayton's comments followed a Star Tribune report that the Vikings asked season-ticket holders about seat licenses in an emailed survey.

Seat licenses are common in the NFL, with some teams charging many thousands of dollars.

``What people were reacting to is $20,000, $30,000, $40,000 a seat,'' Kelm-Helgen said, referring to media reports about seat fees charged in other markets. ``If they had that in their mind vs. something in the thousands perhaps. And I don't even know. I don't want to say.''

She added: ``Our frame of reference has been things like at the Twins stadium and the Gophers' TCF Stadium.''

The Minnesota Twins charged $1,000 to $2,000 on a small number of premium seats at Target Field. The University of Minnesota charges season ticket buyers at TCF Bank Stadium an annual fee of $100 to $500, depending on seat location, said Garry Bowman, a spokesman for the athletics department.

Vikings vice president Lester Bagley said the team hasn't made a decision on the licenses.

``If we proceed on this program, we will deliver what the market says, and I think that's what the governor is saying, too, that this has to fit the market,'' he said. ``Again, this is not Dallas. This is not New York.''

State and city taxpayers in Minneapolis are contributing $498 million to build the stadium, which is slated to open in 2016.

Quick Links

Nationals the latest team to extend protective netting in stadium

nationals-park-independence-day-2019.jpg
USA Today Sports Images

Nationals the latest team to extend protective netting in stadium

The Nationals return to the nation’s capital Monday night for their first homestand of the season’s second half. When they do, players and fans may notice a slight change at Nationals Park: extended netting.

The issue of extending protective netting down the lines of baseball stadiums has grown more and more prominent in recent years, especially with the rash of avoidable injuries fans are incurring on foul balls.

As hitters have grown stronger and exit velocities have skyrocketed, it’s become harder for fans in certain sections to protect themselves or their children from these dangerous shots into the crowd.

More and more teams have announced plans to extend the netting at their stadiums all the way down the lines, though it’s come with a little (misguided) controversy.

Monday night marks the debut of the Nationals’ extended netting.

“Throughout Major League Baseball there have been some tragic incidents this year,” Nationals VP of Public Safety and Security Scott Fear explained in a statement priovided by the team. “So we at the Washington Nationals decided to extend the netting to make sure our fans are safe.”

“And that’s what this is all about,” Fear continued. “We want to protect our fans, the children, the adults, everyone that comes to the game, to make sure they have a great time without worrying about being hurt.”

Perhaps in anticipation of some pushback from fans concerned about a diminished view, the Nats were quick to describe the new netting as being nearly see-through.

Plus, with the changes, the Nationals installed retractable netting, allowing it to come down prior to gametime. This will afford fans even more opportunities to interact with players and ask for pregame autographs and pictures.

“This is something we feel is going to be very positive, and our fans will feel safe being here watching the game,” Fear concluded.

Ultimately, safety should be the number one priority of any major franchise, the Nationals included. They are one of the first teams to embrace this change in the name of safety, and they certainly won’t be the last.

MORE NATIONALS NEWS:

Quick Links

Trent Williams will not report to Richmond to open training camp, per report

trent_bruce_usat.jpg
USA Today Sports

Trent Williams will not report to Richmond to open training camp, per report

Trent Williams will not report to training camp this week when the Redskins head to Richmond to officially begin their 2019 season, according to NFL Network.

The news comes as no surprise, as Williams missed all of the Redskins voluntary offseason workouts and skipped the team's mandatory minicamp in June. Reports streamed out that Williams was upset about his contract and looking for a new deal -- not to mention reports that he was angry with the team's medical staff after a missed diagnosis with a growth on his scalp. 

Williams has made no official statements, and the Redskins organization offered very little in terms of a timeline for his return. Washington team president Bruce Allen said he knows "the truth" about Williams' situation, and head coach Jay Gruden said he hoped things would be resolved before Week 1 in Philadelphia. 

A seven-time Pro Bowler, Williams is arguably the best left tackle in the NFL. He's an immensely talented offensive lineman with two years remaining on his deal. Beyond the medical situation, Williams could be upset that in 2020, the final year of his deal, there is hardly any guaranteed cash. The team could release Williams with less than $2 million in salary cap penalty and save nearly $13 million against the cap. 

Without Williams, the Redskins could be in real trouble. Second-year pro Geron Christian did not seem capable of playing at a starting tackle level last fall, and that was before a knee injury landed him on IR. Morgan Moses should be locked in as the right tackle, but opposite him in Williams' spot will be dicey. 

Multiple sources with the Redskins and around the NFL suggested more cash could change Williams' mind before Week 1, and for now, it looks like the 31-year-old will be waiting for that increased payday. If Williams missed actual games, he would begin to lose money from this year's $14 million salary.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS