Chris Davis has three years left on his seven-year, $161 million contract. And he nearly walked away from it.
According to multiple reporters in Sarasota, Florida for the Orioles' first team workout of the spring, Davis admitted he considered walking away from baseball after another rough season.
Davis said he talked to his wife, Jill, toward end of season about walking away from game. Said he can't continue to be a "well below average player." Said will have same conversation at end of this season if he doesn't improve his production. #orioles— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) February 17, 2020
Davis, 33, slashed .179/.276/.326 last season with 36 RBIs and 12 home runs — the lowest totals of his career in a season in which he played at least 100 games.
Davis: "The only reason I would walk away or would have walked away at the end of the season last year is if I physically felt like I couldn’t do it anymore, and that’s not the case.” #orioles— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) February 17, 2020
After signing his monster contract in 2016, Davis’ play has fallen significantly. In those four years, he’s slashed .198/.294/.385 and struck out 745 times in 2,063 plate appearances.
With the Orioles in the midst of a rebuild, there will soon be younger talent looking to take over Davis’ spot at first base. The first player in that wave will be Ryan Mountcastle, who last season in Triple-A Norfolk earned International League Most Valuable Player after a season where he slashed .312/.344/.527 and had 25 home runs and an .871 OPS.
Davis also told reporters that if his play doesn’t improve, he’ll have the same conversation with his wife after the 2020 season.
Click here to download the MyTeams App by NBC Sports. Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream Capitals and Wizards games easily from your device.
MORE ORIOLES NEWS:
- Not Buying It: Adam Jones doesn't buy Altuve's tattoo story
- Spring Training: 5 things to watch for
- Late Addition: Orioles add lefty to spring training