Orioles

Quick Links

Orioles-Rays in Montreal? Tampa Bay exploring two-city split

usatsi_12638733.jpg
USA TODAY Sports Images

Orioles-Rays in Montreal? Tampa Bay exploring two-city split

The Tampa Bay Rays are considering a drastic plan to help their attendance woes. The Rays received permission to explore splitting home games between the Tampa Bay area and Montreal, according to a report from ESPN's Jeff Passan.

Under the plan, the Rays would play early-season home games in the Tampa Bay area and the remainder of the year in Montreal. Both cities would get new stadiums.

It also means that opposing teams - like the Orioles - would be faced with an interesting travel schedule. The Baltimore Orioles and their traveling fans will have to break out the passports for September games.

But, Tampa Bay may have dropped a bombshell knowing it was a long shot. St. Petersburg Mayor Rick Kriseman shot down the idea of a new stadium. "After 12 years of indecision... I am tired of the games that are being played related to getting a new stadium built," he told reporters.

At the very least, the "two-city solution" is a unique attempt to revive a club that ranks second-to-last in attendance this season despite owning the fourth-best record in the American League. The Rays would stay in Florida before the stadium's lease expires in 2027.

Montreal hasn't had an MLB team since the Expos left for Washington and became the Nationals in 2004.

Passan says there are "significant hurdles" to the plan becoming reality. But, the thought of the O's going north of the Canadian border for a late-season game against their AL East rival is an intriguing one.

MORE ORIOLES NEWS: 

Quick Links

Orioles Roundup: O's fall to Nationals in opening game of Beltway Series

Orioles Roundup: O's fall to Nationals in opening game of Beltway Series

Another night, another loss for the Baltimore Orioles. Tuesday night featured a one-sided affair, as the Nationals beat the O's 8-1 at Camden Yards.

The Orioles fell to 28-66 on this season, while the Natoinals continued their climb to 50-43.

Here are the latest news and notes:

Player Updates:

SP Asher Wojciechowski gave up three earned runs over 5 1/3 innings in Tuesday night's loss. The righty gave up two home runs, with Matt Adams and Juan Soto hitting one deep ball each, while managing to strikeout seven batter and issue no walks on the night. He has now whiffed 21 batters in 15 2/3 innings since joining the Orioles, but also holds a 5.74 ERA.

2B Hanser Alberto was the only offense to speak of for the Orioles on Tuesday night. The utility player had two of the team's four hits and scored their only run after blasting a home run off Austin Voth in the second inning. Alberto has been a breath of fresh air for a struggling O's team, sporting a .306/.325/.402 batting line.

Before first pitch on Tuesday, the Orioles released INF/OF Jace Peterson. The versatile player had a July 15 opt-out in his minor league contract that he decided to exercise in order to find a better opportunity. Through 86 games this season in Triple-A Norfolk, Peterson boasted a .309/.394/.505 battling line with nine home runs, 44  RBI, 12 stolen bases and 55 runs scored.

Also before first pitch on Tuesday, it was announced that DH Mark Trumbo (knee) has resumed baseball activities. Though there is no timetable for his return to the team, the Orioles are optimistic that he will be able to contribute before the end of the season. He has missed the whole season so far due to complications following right knee surgery.

Injuries:

SP Dylan Bundy: Knee, 10-day Injured List

RP Josh Rogers: Elbow, 10-day Injured List

OF DJ Stewart: Ankle, 10-day Injured List

SP Alex Cobb: Back, 60-day Injured List

SP Nate Karns: Arm, 60-day Injured List

DH Mark Trumbo: Knee, 60-day Injured List

Coming Up:

Wednesday 7/17: Orioles vs. Nationals, 7:05 p.m., Oriole Park at Camden Yards

Friday 7/19: Orioles vs. Red Sox, 7:05 p.m., Oriole Park at Camden Yards

Saturday 7/20: Orioles vs. Red Sox, 7:05 p.m., Oriole Park at Camden Yards

Source: Rotoworld

MORE ORIOLES NEWS:

Quick Links

No-hitter hurled in Beltway battle of Nationals-Orioles Double-A affiliates

No-hitter hurled in Beltway battle of Nationals-Orioles Double-A affiliates

In what *has* to be the most important game of the night between the Orioles and Nationals organizations, Bowie Baysox pitcher Michael Baumann threw a no-hitter against the visiting Harrisburg Senators.

The Double-A starting pitcher was absolutely filthy on the mound all night long, dominating the Senators lineup. Baumann needed just 94 pitches to mow down 29 batters, throwing 63 strikes while walking just two batters. He also struck out 10 as he thoroughly shutdown Harrisburg.

Baumann, who is rated the 24th-best prospect in the Orioles farm system according to MLB Pipeline, has had a dynamic start to his Double-A career. The 23-year old has a ridiculous 0.33 ERA through five games (three starts) in Bowie, spanning 27 innings.

This was, of course, his most impressive performance yet.

As for the Baysox offense, every player in the lineup recorded at least one hit. That's irony at its best.

At the time Baumann completed his gem, his organization’s Major League team wasn’t doing so well. The Orioles trailed the Nationals 5-1 in the seventh inning when it was announced on the big screen that Baumann had made history.

During a series in which the Orioles will be hard-pressed to beat their visitors from Washington, it’s nice to have something fun to point to from the minors.

Congratulations to Baumann. If he tosses a few more no-hitters, he’ll certainly find himself rocketing up prospect rankings list in a hurry.

MORE ORIOLES NEWS