It's no secret that summers in Washington, D.C. are pretty hot. Thankfully, there is no shortage of great ice cream shops and parlors offering delicious treats to cool you off and satisfy your sweet tooth.
Here are some of the best ice cream places in and around Washington, D.C.
Ice Cream Jubilee (Multiple Locations), 301 Water Street SE Washington, DC 20003
- Navy Yard
- With all-natural ingredients, flavors are freshly made from local cows and rotated seasonally.
- Visit the menu to check out over 50 of their unique flavors including honey lemon lavender, banana bourbon caramel, and marionberry.
- Ice Cream Jubilee founder & CEO Victoria Lai began experimenting with ice cream flavors in her apartment in 2009 before deciding to start selling flavors in 2013.
Jeni’s Splendid Ice Cream, 1925 14th Street NW Washington, DC 20009
- 14th and U streets
- Each of the sweet treats at Jeni's stand-alone, offering uniquely smooth texture, buttercream body, bright flavor, and clean finish flavors.
- Supermoon, Cream puff, lemon & blueberries parfait are a few of the authentic flavors to try.
- Jeni's offers dairy-free flavors too!
Pitango, 1841 Columbia Road NW, Washington, DC 20009
- Adams Morgan
- Specializes in gelato and sorbet that embody the flavors of meticulously curated ingredients.
- Some of the must-try flavors are black sesame, Fior Di Latte and star anise
- Interested in learning how to customize your own unique batch? Pitango allows you to host your own gelato-making party.
Rita’s Italian Ice & Frozen Custard (Multiple Locations), 610 H St NW Washington, D.C. 20001
- Between the infamous Italian ice to the classic old fashioned custard, Rita's offers a plethora of treats
- Black cherry, cotton candy, mango, and Swedish fish are a few of the popular flavors
- Rita's gives out free pup cups to your furry friends.
Milkbar (Multiple Locations), 1525 15th St NW Washington, DC 20005
- Logan Circle Flagship
- Milk bar offers classes to show you how to assemble the most popular flavor combinations
- Must-try items include Cereal Milk Soft Serve, Compost Cookie, and layer cakes with unfrosted sides.
- Chef Christina Tosi invented all of the signature items on the menu
Outside of D.C.
Here’s The Scoop, 2824 Georgia Avenue, NW
- Located in the lower Georgia Avenue Corridor across from Howard University
- The shop offers a variety of ice cream, and milkshakes, sundaes, puddings, pies, and cupcakes.
- You must try the southern peach milkshake and birthday cake-flavored ice cream
- In addition to serving ice cream, Here's The Scoop hosts community seminars and pop-ups at the store, allowing for consumers to come away with not only a scoop of ice cream but a scoop of information as well.
Pop's Old Fashioned Ice Cream Co., 109 King Street Old Town Alexandria, VA 22314
- Make your celebration extra special by celebrating at Pop's
- Ice cream, shakes, malts, splits, floats, sundaes are some of the simple treats made from pure ingredients that you can try at Pop's.
- Some of the must-try flavors include cookie dough, pistachio and Bailey's mint chip.
- Pop’s early career was spent catering events at the White House serving First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt her favorite ice cream.