The following players were removed from the roster today to get the Washington Redskins to 53 players. The players were waived or released unless otherwise indicated.
2018 Redskins roster transactions:
- WR Shay Fields
- LB Jerod Fernandez (First reported by Ben Standig, Sports Capitol DC)
- WR Dan Williams (Standig)
- OL Kendall Calhoun
- TE Matt Flanagan (Standig)
- TE J.P. Holtz
- S Quin Blanding
- LB Casanova McKinzy
- OT John Kling
- LB Vontae Diggs (Craig Hoffman, 106.7 The Fan)
- OL Isaiah Williams (John Keim, ESPN)
- LB Pete Robertson (Keim)
- G Kyle Kalis
- OL T.J. Clemmings (Keim)
- CB Prince Charles Iowrah (Keim)
- DL Jo Jo Wicker (Standig)
- RB De’Veon Smith (Les Carpenter, Washington Post)
- TE Garrett Hudson (Hoffman)
- WR Brian Quick (Keim)
- RB Kapri Bibbs (Ian Rapoport, NFL Media)
- OL Demetrius Rhaney
- QB Connor Jessop (Carpenter)
- DL Phil Taylor (Matthew Paras, Washington Times)
- ILB Martrell Spaight (Keim)
- DL Ondre Pipkins
- QB Kevin Hogan
- WR Simmie Cobbs
- WR Darvin Kidsey
- S Kenny Ladler
- LB Dadi Nicolas
- OT Timon Parris
- DB Ranthony Texada
- OL Tyler Catalina (injured reserve)
- DE Stacy McGee (PUP list)
- CB Josh Holsey (Non-football injury list)
- DE Dante Sawyer
- S Fish Smithson
—ILB Martrell Spaight becomes the first Redskins draft pick from any year to get cut. He was a fifth-round pick in 2015 but he lost out to Zach Vigil in the competition at inside linebacker.
—CB Danny Johnson accepted congratulation on making the 53-man roster so we can assume that he is in. His inclusion on the roster has seemed likely ever since the team released veteran CB Orlando Scandrick during training camp.
Appreciate it bro ✊🏽 https://t.co/sY3CVb5vdB— Danny Johnson (@D__Johnson10) September 1, 2018
—A lot of people thought that RB Kapri Bibbs had played his way onto the roster and that Samaje Perine had played his way off with some fumbling problems. But it appears that Perine is now safe after the news that Bibbs has been released.
—The release of WR Brian Quick is good news for those who wanted undrafted WR Cam Sims to make the roster. In fact, Keim reported that Sims had made the team.
—Jay Gruden had high praise for LB Pete Robertson early in training camp and he deserved it as he was all over the field. But he didn’t show as well during the preseason games and the writing seems to be on the wall. He has practice squad eligibility.
—LB Jerod Fernandez was the only Redskins player who had more than one sack during the preseason. He is a solid practice squad candidate.
—TE J.P. Holtz became a trendy pick to make the 53 after he did a good job at fullback, especially lead blocking for Adrian Peterson. It seems that if the Redskins think that they need a fullback they will go out and acquire an actual fullback.
MORE REDSKINS NEWS: