The Redskins front office might not be scheduled to speak at the podium during the NFL Scouting Combine, but that doesn't mean there aren't plenty of questions.
Consider the last time Jay Gruden held a press conference, the team was only 48 hours removed from an embarrassing loss in New York and plenty of people wondered if Kirk Cousins would still be the Redskins quarterback in 2018.
In the time since, Washington traded Kendall Fuller and a third-round pick to acquire Kansas City QB Alex Smith.
There are a lot of questions to be asked.
Here are the top five.
RELATED: 2018 NFL MOCK DRAFT 5.0
- Before the decision to trade for Smith, were there contract discussions with Cousins? Was Cousins willing to negotiate? Were there any trade discussions around Cousins?
- Who made the call to go get Smith? How involved was Jay Gruden in the decision to target Smith? Can Smith run the Redskins offense better than Cousins?
- Is a franchise tag still in play for Cousins?
- With the quarterback position addressed, what is the most important offseason priority for the Redskins? What's the latest with Zach Brown? Is he a priority?
- After Brown, what about Junior Galette, Trent Murphy, Spencer Long and Ryan Grant? Does the team still intend to let Bashaud Breeland walk?
Soon the focus of the Redskins offense will turn exclusively to Smith running Gruden's system, but until the questions about Cousins get answered, the issue will linger. Beyond quarterback, Washington has plenty of work to do. The team has slipped backwards in the win column since a 2015 NFC East title, and to get better, much must be addressed.
The Redskins 2017 Scouting Combine was marked by the absence of Scot McCloughan and the appearance of chaos. His ouster was announced just a few weeks later.
The Redskins 2018 Scouting Combine should be a more low-key event for Washington. The Cousins saga appears near its end, though that could change drastically if the organization actually deploys the franchise tag for a third straight year.
This offseason the Redskins made a proactive move to acquire a highly qualified passer in Smith, and the front office and scouting staff will arrive in Indianapolis ready to move forward.
Will that translate into winning? It's time to find out.
Want more Redskins?
Click here for the #RedskinsTalk on Apple Podcasts, here for Google Play or press play below.
Don't forget to subscribe!