Redskins

Quick Links

Josh Norman fires helmet at Titans' Taylor Lewan in heated postgame altercation

Josh Norman fires helmet at Titans' Taylor Lewan in heated postgame altercation

Watch the altercation between Josh Norman and Taylor Lewan in the video player above.

Josh Norman was not happy following the Redskins' 25-16 loss to the Titans on Saturday in Week 16. Two late interceptions by Josh Johnson cost the Redskins a clear path to the playoffs. 

As the game ended and players began to intermingle, Titans RB Derrick Henry attempted to make amends with Norman for a minor spat the two had late in the fourth quarter after Norman tackled Henry on a third-down run and Henry put his hand in Norman's face.

Norman departed Henry and sat in stunned silence on the sideline. That's when Titans offensive lineman Taylor Lewan walked toward Norman and yelled "Get the f*** out of my stadium.'

That's when Norman hurled his helmet at Lewan, who in turn, mocked Norman's bow-and-arrow celebration.

Paul Kelly, the Redskins director of football operations, had to step in and separate Norman from Lewan.

Following the altercation, Lewan was asked about the dustup. The three-time pro bowler explained that he believed Norman was trying to injury Henry, and Lewan would not stand for that.

"I’m not worried about Josh Norman. ... I mean, I don’t know who that is," he said, via Travis Haney. " I was pissed. He was trying to hurt Derrick. That’s BS. That’s not the way football’s supposed to be played, man. It’s not our fault you’re not relevant anymore.”

With the loss, the Redskins no longer have control over their own destiny, needing a win over the Eagles in Week 17 and two losses from both the Eagles and Vikings, to make the playoffs.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS

 

 

 

Quick Links

NFL, EA Sports agree to six year extension of Madden video game franchise

NFL, EA Sports agree to six year extension of Madden video game franchise

The Madden franchise will continue to be a part of the gaming universe for at least the next six years.

NFL owners on Thursday approved an extension of their deal with Electronic Arts, continuing a relationship that has existed for 30 years. It was also recently approved by the NFL Players Association.

The current contract was set to expire after the 2021 season. The extension means that EA Sports will continue to be the league's exclusive publisher of football simulation games through 2026.

EA Sports Executive Vice President Cam Weber said both sides had been talking for months. Many wondered what the future of the relationship might be after 2K Sports signed an agreement with the NFL in March to produce non-simulation games.

The current edition of Madden has seen a 30% increase in unique players. According to Electronic Arts, more than 330 million hours of the game have been played since it was released last August. The company has also seen large increases in gameplay during the past couple of months as people have been confined to their homes because of the coronavirus pandemic, with many tournaments taking place among friends and on television.

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE REDSKINS TALK PODCAST

Rachel Hoagland, the league's vice president and head of gaming and esports, said keeping the Madden franchise at the core of their video gaming strategy was important, especially with the emergence of new platforms and gaming systems. Sony and Microsoft have announced new generations of gaming consoles that are expected to debut by the end of the year.

"EA has done a nice job of ensuring the game matches the experience during a game week. The new technology will allow richer content and add more realism," she said.

Madden NFL 21 will come out in early August with the first looks at the game coming next week. 

Kansas City quarterback Patrick Mahomes was last year's cover athlete. Baltimore quarterback and reigning league MVP Lamar Jackson said in April that he would be on the cover this year, but EA Sports has not made an announcement.

Stay connected to the Capitals and Wizards with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS

Quick Links

Trent Williams planned to play for Redskins in 2019 before being placed on Non-Football Injury list

Trent Williams planned to play for Redskins in 2019 before being placed on Non-Football Injury list

Former Redskins left tackle Trent Williams did not play a snap for the Burgundy and Gold in 2019, but that almost wasn't the case.

Williams held out for the first half of the 2019 season after Redskins team doctors misdiagnosed a cancerous growth on his head for nearly six years. The 31-year-old reported just minutes before the trade deadline after the organization refused to trade him, but failed his physical due to helmet discomfort. Shortly after, he was placed on the Non-Football Injury list, which ended his season.

On the latest episode of NFL Network insider Ian Rapoport's podcast, Williams explained that he actually planned to play for the Redskins in 2019 after he eventually reported to the team.

"The competitive juices started to flow, so I was really prepared to make my return last year," Williams said. "I know all of the things that had went on and just being in that facility, being around teammates, being around the guys you fought with and bled with for some many years. It was almost impossible for me to fight the urge not to just want to get back on the field."

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE REDSKINS TALK PODCAST

After the left tackle could not find a comfortable helmet, he had arranged for a new one to be shipped. Once the new helmet arrived, the left tackle planned on making his return. 

"I was literally waiting on my new helmet to come in," he said. "I was getting ready to kind of gear up and it was going to be somewhat of a surprise to some, but I think for the people who know me best they know how competitive I am. 

"I was put on NFI right before I could even get the helmet to get back out there," Williams continued. "It was a bummer but figured it was just how it was supposed to work out."

By placing Williams on the NFI list, the Redskins saved nearly $6 million in salary.

Washington traded the seven-time Pro Bowler to the San Francisco 49ers on April 25 in exchange for a 2020 fifth-round pick and a 2021 third-round pick. Williams has one year remaining on his current deal.

Stay connected to the Capitals and Wizards with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS