Most of the headline names are gone but there still is plenty of work for the Redskins to do in free agency. Here are some of their own free agents they may continue to try to re-sign.
ILB Zach Brown—Things have been very quiet on this front so either interest in him has been kept under wraps or his initial asking price is too high. The Redskins have made him an offer per Doug Williams.
OLB Junior Galette—It’s the same here as far as word of much interest. Galette has been vocal about his desire to get more playing time than he had in Washington last year. He played 37 percent of the Redskins’ defensive snaps in 2017 and that increased to closer to 50 percent in the latter part of the year. Getting a commitment to getting more than that could be part of the hangup.
ILB Will Compton—There hasn’t been much noise here either. Compton was a defensive captain two years ago and he can do a lot of things to help a team. He will be with a team, maybe the Redskins, maybe another one, within a week or two.
OL Tony Bergstrom—They liked his versatility and his ability to pick up things quickly when he came in during the wave of injuries that hit the offensive line last year. He’ll be 32 before the season starts and he’s not part of the future but they could bring him back to compete for a depth spot.
The Redskins are unlikely to pursue the following free agents who were on their roster last year: G Shawn Lauvao, WR Terrelle Pryor, S DeAngelo Hall, LB Chris Carter, DE Arthur Jones, NT Phil Taylor
MORE REDSKINS: NFL MOCK DRAFT 6.0
How about outside free agents? Here are some possible Redskins targets who play need position that are on the PFT top 100 free agents list with rankings included.
13. DT Sheldon Richardson—The Redskins seem to be on the fringes of contenders for the services of Richardson, who can be dominant but who comes with some off-field baggage.
20. DL Dontari Poe—I’ve heard talk that the Redskins are in on the former Falcon and Chief, who took a one-year deal last year and hopes to get a solid long-term contract this time around going into his age 28 season.
26. DB Tyrann Mathieu—I’m a little confused by the low ranking here but, regardless, the Redskins could use his combination of skills in their secondary. They are long shots to land him and they likely would need to make a move to clear some cap room.
37. G Josh Sitton—With the departure of Spencer Long the Redskins have a hole at left guard. Sitton, going into his age 32 season, could be a stopgap there.
40. DL Bennie Logan—There was interest in him last year before he signed a one-year deal with the Chiefs. I haven’t heard talk of interest in him this year but I wouldn’t rule him out.
94. ILB Preston Brown—A solid alternative if Zach Brown decides to sign elsewhere. Zach doesn’t make many big plays but Preston makes even fewer. Preston is a solid, competent inside linebacker. The Redskins were reported to have interest, but we have heard no word at this point.
CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie—He is not on the PFT 100 list, but he is still in play after an extended visit to Redskins Park which included a physical. There is still a chance that this deal gets done if they can come together on the money.
RELATED: REDSKINS AND NFL FREE AGENCY TRACKER