This story has been updated with the news that a warrant was issued for Dunbar's alleged role in an armed robbery.
Following the 2019 NFL season, the Washington Redskins set out to establish a new culture for the franchise by revamping the front office and coaching staff. The move had many excited about positive changes coming to fruition.
Former Redskin Quinton Dunbar was not exactly among them. In February of 2020, after Washington had essentially rehauled the coaching staff with Ron Rivera at the helm, the cornerback began voicing his displeasure.
Dunbar said that he wanted out of Washington because he didn't know the new staff, and they didn't know him. Things escalated further when Dunbar was unable to get the final year of his contract altered by the new people in charge of the Redskins. This season is the last of Dunbar's current deal and features no guaranteed money, a risk for any player to take on.
Unable to get what he wanted, and unhappy with the current makeup of the front office and staff. Dunbar felt his time as a Redskin had come to an end and it was pretty clear that the two sides weren't going to work it out after some public back-and-forth. A trade was the best solution, and the Seattle Seahawks became their partner in the transaction.
Almost two months removed from the trade, Dunbar is no longer unhappy in Washington. He told reporters on a conference call hours before a warrant for his arrest was made public that he is rather optimistic and excited for the opportunity he has been given in Seattle. Besides joining a talented team that has a reputation for building lockdown secondaries, Dunbar said he is content with being a part of a franchise that he feels appreciates him.
“You just want to feel wanted,” Dunbar said through a Zoom call with local media, reported by NBC Sports Northwest. “Them guys made it their job to trade for me, and that’s good enough for me. I just hope to repay them with how I carry myself as a person.”
As NBC Sports Northwest explains, though Dunbar told reporters he was happy with his new situation. 2020 would be the last year of his deal.
Part of the reason the sixth-year pro may have been unable to secure a higher pay rate before the season and Thursday's news is due to his recent injury concerns. Despite stellar play when he's on the field, Dunbar has missed 14 games in the past two seasons. However, he believes that will not be an issue going forward.
“I know what I can do when I’m on the field,” Dunbar told reporters Thursday. “I believe in me. All of that other stuff will take care of itself."
“I feel like I’m at my best right now,” he added. “I’m good to go. I’m 100. I’ve been 100," he added.
Joe Fann of NBC Sports Northwest notes that Dunbar said he will be slotted at right cornerback in Seattle's defense. Dunbar believes that the Seahawks style of play fits him well, and there is hope that his impact can take the unit to a new level.
Dunbar's time in Washington came to an ugly end. But, much like how the Redskins are working to move on from the past, the cornerback shares the same mindset. 2020 is a big year for him, and he said he was happy to go through it in Seattle.
“I have no worries in Seattle. I’m happy to be in Seattle," Dunbar said. "I just want to go out and play ball and help the team however I can.”
MORE REDSKINS NEWS