Redskins

Quick Links

Redskins sign nose tackle Phil Taylor for another NFL opportunity

phil_taylor_ap.jpg
AP Images

Redskins sign nose tackle Phil Taylor for another NFL opportunity

In training camp last year, nose tackle Phil Taylor was on his way to becoming one of the best stories of the season.

He was on the verge of making the Redskins and becoming their starting nose tackle after having missed two years with injuries.

However, the dream story ended when he suffered a torn quadriceps in a preseason game. Taylor spent the season on injured reserve.

But he will get a chance to be an even better story this year. On Tuesday, the Redskins announced the signing of Taylor, first reported Tuesday morning by the Washington Post.

Taylor, who turns 30 later this week, was a first-round pick of the Browns in 2011. He had some good seasons in Cleveland, but he also had issues with injuries, missing 18 games in four seasons. He signed with the Broncos as a free agent in 2015 but he never got on the field there.

The Redskins liked what they saw out of him in training camp and they still are in need at the nose tackle position, so the signing was logical.

It will be interesting to see if the Redskins try to bring in more options there. While a Taylor comeback would be nice to see, relying on a player with Taylor’s injury history is not a smart course of action.

MORE REDSKINS: NFL MOCK DRAFT 7.0

Stay up to date on the Redskins. Rich Tandler covers the team 365 days a year. Like his Facebook page Facebook.com/TandlerNBCS and follow him on Twitter @TandlerNBCS.

Quick Links

Report says Redskins were chasing after Joe Flacco before he landed in Denver

Report says Redskins were chasing after Joe Flacco before he landed in Denver

Baltimore traded quarterback Joe Flacco to Denver last week, and things might have moved quicker between the Ravens and the Broncos because another team had interest.

That team? The Washington Redskins. 

That's the story presented by a pair of Denver radio hosts last week. 

There are a few important things to note.

Redskins team president Bruce Allen handles trades for the team, and it's possible he reached out to Baltimore on Flacco. That could mean just one perfunctory phone call, or a real conversation. 

The reality, however, is the Redskins don't have close to the cap space needed to add Flacco.

In 2019, Flacco's contract will count more than $26 million toward the salary cap. The Redskins are only $17 million under the cap. Just on the most basic level, acquiring Flacco wouldn't have worked. 

Can teams move salary around or cut players to add room? Sure. But keep in mind, Washington already owes QB Alex Smith more than $20 million this season even though he's unexpected to play. Between Flacco, Smith and Colt McCoy's $4 million salary, that would have been about $50 million in quarterback salary on the Redskins roster this season.

That's preposterous. 

If you want to believe the Redskins were seriously looking into the trade, there are some loose ends. When the team acquired Alex Smith last season, the number one reason provided was that Smith wins games. Well, the same can be said about Flacco. 

A 34-year-old quarterback with a Super Bowl ring and a long track record of impressive playoff performances, Flacco has a career 96-67 regular season record and a 10-5 record in the playoffs. 

There's also this: Reports show Denver sent a fourth-round pick to Baltimore to get Flacco.

The Redskins don't have a fourth-round pick this year after acquiring Ha Ha Clinton-Dix in mid-season. Is it possible the 'Skins talked about a fifth-round pick for Flacco, especially because the team holds two selections in the fifth round? In turn, maybe Denver offered a fourth to beat the Redskins offer? Sure, it's possible.

But again, adding Flacco's contract to the Redskins salary cap situation would be insane. In the end, follow the money.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS: 

Quick Links

Colin Kaepernick, NFL reach settlement in collusion case

usatsi_9767585.jpg
USA Today Sports Images

Colin Kaepernick, NFL reach settlement in collusion case

NEW YORK  -- Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid have settled collusion lawsuits against the NFL.

In a three-sentence statement released Friday, the NFL said:

"For the past several months, counsel for Mr. Kaepernick and Mr. Reid have engaged in an ongoing dialogue with representatives of the NFL. As a result of those discussions, the parties have decided to resolve the pending grievances. The resolution of this matter is subject to a confidentiality agreement so there will be no further comment by any party."

Kaepernick's lawyer tweeted an identical statement.

Kaepernick and Reid filed collusion grievances against the league, saying they were blacklisted because of protests during the national anthem at games. Kaepernick has not played in the league since 2016, while Reid missed three games last season before signing with Carolina.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS: