Redskins

Quick Links

Trent Williams fine with missing regular season and will not play for Redskins, 'period,' per sources

Trent Williams fine with missing regular season and will not play for Redskins, 'period,' per sources

CLEVELAND -- Trent Williams does not intend to suit up for the Washington Redskins anytime soon and that includes regular season games, according to multiple sources close to the situation. 

"He's not coming back. Period," said one source that had spoken directly to Williams. 

Williams missed all of the Redskins offseason workouts and mandatory minicamp before no showing the team's two week training camp in Richmond. Thursday night the Redskins will begin their preseason in Cleveland against the Browns (6:30, NBCSW), and Williams won't be there either. 

Sources explained that the situation is not all about money, rather his contract status along with the series of allegations that the seven-time Pro Bowl tackle has lost faith in the team's front office and medical staff. Still, money might be the only way to fix the holdout. 

A reported plan that Washington could fine Williams enough for missing practices so that he would hurry back and report was "funny." Williams has made nearly $100 million in his career, and the threat of fines that could reach up to perhaps $500,000 are of small consequence to the veteran left tackle, sources explained.

There's also the threat of not being on the Redskins roster before Week 1, which means Williams' 2019 salary will no longer be fully vested. "Not a concern," according to those in the know. 

Word from some inside the Redskins organization suggests that the holdup actually is all about money. How that could be fixed remains to be seen, but those with direct knowledge of the Williams' camp suggest a resolution would require a new deal. It's hard to envision a scenario where the Redskins would do a new deal, as it would set a new precedent for Bruce Allen to rework a contract that has two years remaining. Washington historically only works on extensions in the last year of a contract.

Former Redskins and Texans general manager Charley Casserly said on the Redskins Talk podcast that maybe Washington could move some 2020 money up to 2019, like Atlanta did with the Julio Jones holdout last year. The problem there is now the Falcons are back in an uneasy place with Jones and no new contract worked out. 

"I think it is all about money," Casserly said (see above video). "The only way we'll know the truth to that is to have everybody in a room together. I personally don't buy, in his case because that's the only one I've studied, these allegations that are being made. I just don't buy it at all."

Williams has two years left on a contract that will pay him nearly $25 million. He signed that deal in 2015, which at the time was the richest contract for an NFL offensive lineman. In the years since he's been passed though he still ranks in the Top 10 of linemen salaries. 

Early in training camp the Redskins offensive line looked like a train wreck without Williams. The team was forced to use Ereck Flowers at left tackle, and he showed why New York cut him last season. The plan was for Flowers to play left guard in Washington, ideally next to Williams, but that obviously hasn't worked out. 

In the past week, however, things have started to stabilize. Second-year pro Geron Christian returned from injury, allowing Flowers to move inside to guard. The team also signed veteran left tackle Donald Penn. He has started more than 150 games as a left tackle in the NFL and three times made the Pro Bowl. 

Nobody will replace Williams. Nobody. He's an elite talent. But a healthy competition between Christian and Penn will produce a legitimate NFL starter. 

"What you have with Penn is a veteran that knows how to play the game. What does that mean? It's a guy who knows who he has to play against, what he has to do to block him, uses his hands well and uses his big body well. Can he hold up physically? That's a question. A question too is, the speed guys and the strength guys are going to give him some problems, but he was the best alternate to you to have a backup at this point in time," Casserly explained.

Since being drafted fourth overall in 2010, Williams has been a cornerstone of the Redskins franchise. That said, the 31-year-old hasn't played a full 16-game season since 2013. 

More importantly for 2019, it doesn't sound like Williams will be playing anytime soon either. 

MORE REDSKINS NEWS:

Quick Links

Redskins won't see Antonio Brown in Week 5: Controversial star released by Patriots

Redskins won't see Antonio Brown in Week 5: Controversial star released by Patriots

The Antonio Brown Era in New England is over.

Brown, one of the most prolific wide receivers to ever play in the NFL, was released by the Patriots Friday afternoon, just 11 days after signing with the team.

Shortly after his release from the Raiders, which preceded his signing in New England, reports surfaced of sexual assault allegations being levied at Brown. The receiver was facing charges of rape from a former trainer, and it was initially unclear how much the Patriots knew about prior to his signing.

Brown did end up playing in Week 2, his first opportunity with the Patriots, in Miami. He caught four passes for 56 yards and a touchdown, in addition to rushing the ball once for a five-yard gain.

Late Thursday night, additional reports surfaced of intimidating texts sent by Brown to a woman involved in a separate assault case. Less than a day later, the receiver tweeted a farewell to his now former team.

Minutes later, the Patriots announced they had parted ways with Brown. 

The team released the following statement: “The New England Patriots are releasing Antonio Brown. We appreciate the hard work of many people over the past 11 days, but we feel that it is best to move in a different direction at this time.”

The investigation into sexual assault allegations against Brown remains ongoing at this time.

The Redskins will host the Patriots in Week 5 of the 2019 NFL season.

MORE BROWN COVERAGE:

Quick Links

Jonathan Allen says '100 percent' chance he plays Monday night but questions remain for Redskins

Jonathan Allen says '100 percent' chance he plays Monday night but questions remain for Redskins

Jonathan Allen declared himself "100 percent" in for the Redskins Monday night game against the Bears. That's great news, except Allen might not have the final say in the matter.

The Redskins defensive captain and third-year defensive tackle sprained his knee Week 1 in Philadelphia and wanted to return in that game. He didn't, and subsequently, missed Week 2 against Dallas too. Washington head coach Jay Gruden explained that the team has to protect Allen, a fierce competitor, against himself. He doesn't want to miss any action, even if resting his injured knee might be the most prudent course. 

Asked what would happen if the medical staff tried to prevent him from playing in Monday's contest, Allen did not really respond but rather shake his head. 

Elsewhere on the team, there doesn't seem to be as much good news on the injury front.

The news on cornerback Quinton Dunbar doesn't seem encouraging.

"I don’t know about Dunbar. He was struggling a bit today," Gruden said after practice. The cornerback injured his knee against Philly and missed the Cowboys game. It would take some serious progress for Dunbar to play Monday night. 

The news seems even more concerning with tight end Jordan Reed. He hasn't played since sustaining a concussion in the third preseason game, and this week he practiced on Wednesday but didn't make it out on the field Thursday or Friday. At this point, the Redskins seem wise to move forward without Reed in the game plan as he works his way back from the concussion protocol. 

Further down the line, cornerback Fabian Moreau looks like he is tracking to return to the field against Chicago while questions keep popping up around safety Montae Nicholson. Gruden said Nicholson's absence was mainly for rest.