After a blowout win over Thailand on Tuesday, the U.S. Women's National Team continues their World Cup title defense on Sunday, June 16 with a match against Chile.
The U.S., aiming to win its second consective World Cup, entered this year's tournament as the most-successful nation in Women's World Cup history. With a combined 112 goals in all of the team's appearances, just one goal ahead of Germany (111), the USWNT consistently proved it belongs atop the list of soccer powerhouses of the world.
During qualifying rounds the U.S. outscored opponents 26-0 and won all five of its games, while Chile outscored opponents 13-5 to advance to its first Women's World Cup appearance.
Then, the USWNT's first match against Thailand. Team USA scored 13 unanswered goals, the most goals in a single game and the highest win-margin in the history of the World Cup. That means the U.S. has outscored opponents 39-0 in its last six games and has a total of 125 goals in all its World Cup appearances. Pretty exciting, right?
HOW TO WATCH THE 2019 WOMEN'S WORLD CUP: USA vs. CHILE
Who: Team USA vs. Chile, Group F
What: Game 2 Women's World Cup
When: Sunday, June 16
Time: Noon ET
Where: Parc des Princes, Paris, France
TV Channel: FOX
Stream Online: Watch the World Cup on fuboTV.
- More From Morgan: Team USA forward Alex Morgan scored five times on Tuesday and tied the record for most goals in a single game in FIFA Women's World Cup history. (Michelle Akers scored five in the quarterfinals in 1991 against China Taipei)
- On a Roll: Carli Lloyd scored a goal in her fifth consecutive World Cup match dating back to 2015, after she capped the U.S.'s victory on Tuesday with the 13th goal of the match. With the goal Lloyd tied the record for scoring in five straight FIFA Women's World Cup games.
GROUP F SCHEDULE
Sweden vs. Thailand, Sun. 6/16, 9 a.m. ET (FS1)
USA vs. Chile, Sun. 6/16, 12 p.m. ET (FOX)
Sweden vs. USA, Thurs. 6/20, 3 p.m. ET (FOX)
Thailand vs. Chile, Thurs. 6/20, 3 p.m. ET (FS1)
WHAT ARE THE GROUPS FOR THE WOMEN'S WORLD CUP?
Group A (Record, points in parentheses):
France (1-0-0, 3 pts.), Norway (1-0-0, 3 pts.), Nigeria (0-1-0, 0 pts.), Korea Republic (0-1-0, 0 pts.)
Spain (1-0-0, 3 pts.), Germany (1-0-0, 3 pts.), China PR (0-1-0, 0 pts.), South Africa (0-1-0, 0 pts.)
Brazil (1-0-0, 3 pts.), Italy (1-0-0, 3 pts.), Australia (0-1-0, 0 pts.), Jamaica (0-1-0, 0 pts.)
England (1-0-0, 3 pts.), Argentina (0-0-1, 1 pts.), Japan (0-0-1, 1 pts.), Scotland (0-1-0, 0 pts.)
Canada (1-0-0, 3 pts.), Netherlands (1-0-0, 3 pts.), New Zealand (0-1-0, 0 pts.), Cameroon (0-1-0, 0 pts.)
USA (1-0-0, 3 pts.), Sweden (1-0-0, 3 pts.), Chile (0-1-0, 0 pts.), Thailand (0-1-0, 0 pts.)
MORE SOCCER NEWS:
- U.S. Spirit: Lavelle and Pugh score in 13-0 win
- Where to Watch: Best soccer bars in D.C.
- Blowout: USWNT dominates Thailand in 13-0 win