FC Dallas

MLS fans boo FC Dallas, Nashville SC players who took a knee during national anthem

MLS fans boo FC Dallas, Nashville SC players who took a knee during national anthem

As FC Dallas and Nashville SC players took a knee during the national anthem ahead of their match Wednesday, fans at Toyota Stadium in Frisco, TX began booing them. 

Nashville won the game 1-0, but that was seemingly the furthest thing from players' minds after the game. Dallas defender Reggie Cannon said he was disgusted by the fans booing the players' peaceful protest. 

"You can't even have support from your own fans in your own stadium," Cannon said, according to the Associated Press. "It's baffling to me. As a team we try to give the best possible product on the field and these last six months have been absolute hell for us. Absolute hell."

It was the first game for both teams since the 2020 season was suspended in March. Dallas and Nashville both had to wait to start their schedules due to positive coronavirus tests among players on each club.

RELATED: BILL HAMID SEEKS TO IMPROVE RACIAL EQUALITY IN SOCCER

Players across professional sports have been kneeling during the national anthem as their seasons have returned to play. George Floyd's death in late May sparked worldwide protests against racial injustice and police brutality, including Colin Kaepernick's original statement of kneeling during the anthem. 

Some, including President Donald Trump, have claimed kneeling during the anthem disrespects the American flag and the troops fighting overseas, leading to a mixed reaction to the demonstration depending on the audience. 

"We had someone chanting 'U.S.A.,' but they don't understand what kneeling means," Cannon said. "They don't understand why we're kneeling.

"It hurts me because I love our fans, I love this club, and I want to see the support that the league has given us, that everyone has given us, from our fans," he said.

Stay connected with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

FC Dallas withdraws from MLS is Back tournament after 10 positive COVID-19 tests

fc_dallas.jpg
USA Today Sports Images

FC Dallas withdraws from MLS is Back tournament after 10 positive COVID-19 tests

FC Dallas has withdrawn from the MLS is Back tournament in Florida after 10 players tested positive for coronavirus.

The league said Monday that of the 557 players sequestered at a pair of Walt Disney World hotels, 13 have tested positive: 10 from Dallas, two from Nashville and one from Columbus. Additionally, a Dallas coach also tested positive.

“The decision to have them not participate in the tournament is in the best interests of everyone, of the Dallas players and the other 25 teams, and allows us to continue to manage the health and safety of our players while continuing to go forward with our plan,” MLS Commissioner Don Garber told The Associated Press in a telephone interview on Monday.

Apart from the health and safety aspect, the number of positive cases also meant that Dallas could not play competitive games.

“As we continue to focus on the well-being of our players, coaches and staff who are in isolation in Orlando, we understand it is not in their best interests to compete at this time,” coach Luchi Gonzalez said in a statement. “While we’re disappointed, the health and safety of our traveling delegation as well as our league partners is our highest priority.”

FC Dallas announced last week that six players had tested positive upon arrival in Florida for the tournament, and the entire team was quarantined. As a result, the team’s opening match on Thursday against the Vancouver Whitecaps was postponed.

RELATED: WHEN ARE SPORTS RETURNING FROM CORONAVIRUS

With Dallas' withdrawal, Major League Soccer was devising a new schedule for the monthlong tournament, to be played without fans at ESPN's Wide World of Sports Complex at Disney World.

The tournament is still set to open Wednesday with a nationally televised match between Orlando City and expansion Inter Miami.

Also on Monday, LAFC forward Carlos Vela opted out of the tournament out of concerns for his wife, who is expecting their second child.

“I always want to give everything I have to my club, our fans and supporters and the city of L.A.,” Vela said in a statement. “However, it is in the best interest of the health of my family to stay home and be with my wife during what is a risky pregnancy."

MLS shut down because of the coronavirus pandemic on March 12 after teams had each played two games.

Garber vowed to stop the tournament if warranted.

“If there is a situation at any time that I believe that the protocols aren't working, and the health and safety of our players is at risk, then I will make the decision to shut down the tournament," Garber said. "That is something I committed to the players and to our entire league early on. But this is proving that our protocols worked and our plan so far has been sound.”

FC Dallas previously revealed that all players and staff tested negative for the coronavirus before leaving for the tournament on June 27. Upon arrival, two players tested positive. Subsequent tests found four more players infected with the virus that causes COVID-19.

“We absolutely agree with the league’s decision to withdraw FC Dallas from the MLS is Back Tournament out of safety concerns for our players and staff,” FC Dallas President Dan Hunt said. “We’re looking forward to resuming the 2020 season once the entire club is healthy and in position to play competitive matches at the highest level.”

The league said no other team was in contact with the FC Dallas delegation. League protocol requires players and staff to be tested every two days upon arrival in Florida.

Stay connected to your favorite teams from the DMV with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE DC UNITED NEWS:

FC Dallas-Vancouver Whitecaps match postponed after eight positive coronavirus tests

FC Dallas-Vancouver Whitecaps match postponed after eight positive coronavirus tests

The MLS is Back Tournament match between FC Dallas and the Vancouver Whitecaps set for Thursday has been postponed after eight players tested positive for the coronavirus.

The group-stage game will be rescheduled, the league said Saturday.

FC Dallas announced earlier this week that six players had tested positive for the virus upon arrival in Florida for the tournament. The entire team was quarantined.

Two Whitecaps players tested positive, forcing the team to remain in Canada, the league said. Additional tests were negative, but the team had to push back travel until Monday.

RELATED: WHEN ARE SPORTS RETURNING FROM CORONAVIRUS

The MLS is Back Tournament is set to open on Wednesday with a match between Orlando City and expansion Inter Miami.

The league's 26 teams will be sequestered in hotels for the duration of the monthlong tournament played without fans at the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex at Walt Disney World.

MLS shut down because of the coronavirus pandemic on March 12 after teams had each played two games.

FC Dallas said all players and staff tested negative for the coronavirus before leaving for the tournament on last Saturday. Upon arrival, two players tested positive. Subsequent tests found four more players infected with the virus that causes COVID-19.

"In consultation with MLS medical officials, FC Dallas took proactive steps to isolate the newly affected players as well as all FC Dallas players and staff in Orlando out of an abundance of caution. All members of the club delegation are following MLS health and safety protocols and will remain quarantined in their hotel rooms pending the results of further COVID-19 testing," the team said in a statement.

The names of the players were not released.

The league said no other team was in contact with the FC Dallas delegation. League protocol requires players and staff to be tested every two days upon arrival in Florida.

FC Dallas will now open the tournament on July 15 against the Seattle Sounders, while the Whitecaps will play the San Jose Earthquakes later that day.

Stay connected to your favorite teams from the DMV with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE DC UNITED NEWS: