Redskins

Timbers acquire Argentine MF Diego Valeri

Timbers acquire Argentine MF Diego Valeri

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) The Portland Timbers have acquired midfielder Diego Valeri on loan from Argentina's first division Club Atletico Lanus.

Valeri, a native of Argentina, will join Portland as a Designated Player once he is cleared to play in the United States, the team announced Thursday.

The 26-year-old has been with Lanus nine seasons, scoring 25 goals in 158 matches. He helped the team to its first Primera Division title in 2007.

Valeri, who also has three caps with the Argentine national team, will take an international slot on the Timbers' roster.

Quick Links

Derrius Guice lands on injured reserve for third time in two years

Derrius Guice lands on injured reserve for third time in two years

Derrius Guice's 2019 season is over.

After suffering an MCL sprain to the same knee he tore the ACL in a year ago, the Redskins are placing the running back on injured reserve.

This will be Guice's third time landing on IR in just two NFL seasons. He landed on the list after tearing his ACL in August of 2018, costing him his entire rookie season. Guice was placed on IR earlier this season after he tore the meniscus in his other knee during the Redskins Week 1 loss to the Eagles, causing him to miss the Redskins next eight games.

The move this time is prioritizing Guice's health for the 2020 season and beyond. Theoretically, if the Redskins were to be in the playoff hunt, Guice could have recovered in time to play again this season. But with the Redskins 3-10 and eliminated from January football, the organization values Guice's health in the future more than playing in three relatively meaningless games this season.

Since returning from his meniscus injury, Guice seemed to be hitting his stride. In Week 13, Guice rushed for a career-high 129 yards and two touchdowns on just 10 carries. Before suffering the MCL sprain on Sunday, Guice was well on his way to another big day. He finished with 42 yards on five carries, including a 23-yard run.

The 2020 offseason will be the first time Guice has a full offseason healthy to workout and prepare for the coming year. Although he's played in just five NFL games, Guice has shown plenty of flashes of how good he can be.

Staying healthy is the No. 1 priority for No. 29 moving forward, and the Redskins are doing their best to make that happen with this move.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS:

Quick Links

Scott Boras: Anthony Rendon has received ‘numerous’ seven-year offers

Scott Boras: Anthony Rendon has received ‘numerous’ seven-year offers

As Scott Boras stood before a thrall of reporters at the annual Winter Meetings in San Diego, California, on Tuesday, he was peppered with questions about the top position player available in free agency this winter. Anthony Rendon, who’s represented by Boras, has been reportedly seeking a seven-year deal after rejecting one offered by the Nationals last fall.

According to the agent, multiple teams have offers on the table for exactly that.

“There are a number of teams that we’re talking with about Anthony and negotiations are current and active,” Boras said. “There’s been numerous offers made by many teams and Anthony’s just kind of evaluating it. We’re in the process of going back and forth with a lot of clubs.”

Boras said all the proposals Rendon is currently considering are for seven years. Washington reportedly offered him a deal between $210 million and $215 million at the end of last season. That number figures to be much lower than the offers Rendon has received as a free agent.

The Nationals just re-signed fellow free agent Stephen Strasburg to a seven-year, $245 million deal on Monday, but with $80 million deferred team president Mike Rizzo left the door open for Washington to bring back Rendon as well.

MORE NATIONALS NEWS: