Capitals

Quick Links

Bettman makes take-it-or-leave-it offer

628012.jpg

Bettman makes take-it-or-leave-it offer

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has given the players union a take-it-or-leave-it offer that he hopes will avert the leagues second lockout in eight years.

Count on the players leaving it.

Following a three-hour meeting in New York with NHL Players Association executive director Donald Fehr, Bettman told reporters on Wednesday that the players most recent proposal was unacceptable and that if the players fail to agree on the leagues latest offer by late Saturday night that deal is off the table.

The leagues current CBA expires at 11:59 Saturday night and Bettman has said that if a contract is not reached by then he will lock out the leagues 700-plus players until an agreement is reached.

Bettman said his offer was a six-year deal that would give the players between 250 million and 300 million more than the owners previous proposal. He also said the players salaries would be cut by about 9.7 percent. The leagues initial proposal called for a 24 percent cut in salaries.

The players have offered a four-year deal that keeps their share of hockey-related revenue HRR close to its current 57 percent.

Bettman came to his 300 million and 9.7 percent figures, at least in part, by returning to the current definitions of what constitutes hockey-related revenue. In the NHLs previous proposal Bettman tried to re-define what constitutes HRR.

With more than 300 players in New York, including Capitals Troy Brouwer, John Carlson and Karl Alzner, the NHLPA is expected to reject the NHLs latest offer.

Still, players are holding out hope that an agreement can be reached before the end of the weekend. Rookie camps are tentatively scheduled to begin Monday, with veterans scheduled to report on Sept. 21.

Things are moving along even though it may seem like theyre not, Brouwer said Wednesday afternoon. Until we have our player meetings today and tomorrow, its really tough to tell whats going to happen. But I still think theres plenty of time to get a deal done.

A lot of things have been worked out and have progressed throughout this whole process. Were just making sure theres a fair deal for both sides. Both sides, I hope, are still optimistic that a deal can be reached in the next couple days.

Brouwer said the progress of this week's talks will determine whether he reports to Washington or returns to Chicago, where he is expecting the birth of his child in three weeks.

"If there is a season well be in Washington right away," he said. "But if there isnt, thenI think well stick in Chicago, at least until we hear otherwise."

Quick Links

Alex Ovechkin and wife Nastya Ovechkina welcome baby boy

ovi_red_carpet_062118.png
NBC Sports Washington/USATSI

Alex Ovechkin and wife Nastya Ovechkina welcome baby boy

After lifting the Stanley Cup just over two months ago, something else very exciting has happened in Alex Ovechkin's life.

Saturday morning, Nastya and Alex Ovechkin welcomed their first child, a baby boy named Sergei, after Ovechkin's late brother. 

Ovi spent this week practicing at the Florida Panthers' facilities with other NHL players living in the surrounding area.

After the Cup's visit to Moscow, Nastya and Alex settled down at their apartment in Miami, staying put and preparing for the birth. 

The couple were married two years ago but didn't hold an official ceremony until July of last year. The celebration was as lavish as you'd expect.

She revealed her pregnancy shortly after the Cup victory, and has kept us up to date on life this summer via Instagram. A few weeks ago, the Ovechkins graced HELLO! Russia magazine, showing off Nastya's baby bump among their glamour shots.

💛 @aleksandrovechkinofficial #hello #hellorussia @hello__ru

A post shared by Nastasiya Ovechkina (@nastyashubskaya) on

Congratulations to Ovi and Nastya, and all our best wishes for health and happiness!

MORE CAPITALS NEWS:

Quick Links

Capitals draft pick admits he is...a Flyers fan

usatsi_9355121.jpg
USA TODAY Sports

Capitals draft pick admits he is...a Flyers fan

Say it ain't so.

Mitchell Gibson is the first goalie the Capitals have drafted since Ilya Samsonov in 2015, but they may be thinking twice about their selection after a recent shocking interview.

Gibson spoke with a local Philadelphia CBS station and revealed that both he and his family...are Flyers fans.

Insert dramatic music.

"I think my family will always be Flyers fans in their hearts and I guess I will be a little bit," Gibson admitted, hopefully with guilt in his voice.

Gibson was selected by the Caps in the fourth round of the 2018 draft, but clearly the scouts did not do their homework. It's as if Gibson grew up a hockey fan in a place like Phoenixville, Pa. (about an hour outside of Philadelphia) without anticipating the future that he may one day be drafted by a rival team like Washington.

Shame, shame.

The young netminder tried to make up for his horrifying admission later in the interview.

"The Capitals are definitely treating me well right now so I would like to be their goalie," he said.

A likely story.

Gibson is only 19 and set to begin his first collegiate season at Harvard in 2018 so at least there is still time for Gibson to overcome his shameful past. And hey, it could always be worse. At least he's not a Penguins fan.

MORE CAPITALS NEWS: