NBC Sports Group will broadcast a record 105 NHL regular season games in 2015-16, including 11 national telecasts of Capitals games.
Three Capitals game will be televised on NBC, with eight more available on NBCSN.
CSN is scheduled to announce its regional television schedule at a later date.
NBCSN’s coverage of the Capitals begins with their home game against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Wednesday, Oct. 28, part of NBCSN’s exclusive Wednesday Night Rivalry coverage. Additional Wednesday Night Rivalry dates include the Caps at Detroit on Nov. 18, the Philadelphia Flyers’ visit to Washington on Jan. 27 and the Caps’ game in Philadelphia on March 30.
In addition, the Caps’ game against Pittsburgh on Sunday, March 20, is one of 12 Sunday Night Hockey matchups that will be featured on NBCSN beginning Jan. 10.
NBC’s national coverage of the Capitals begins Sunday, Jan. 24, at home against Pittsburgh, followed by a home game Sunday, Feb. 7 against Philadelphia and a Sunday, Feb. 28 visit to Chicago, who the Caps defeated in overtime in the 2015 Winter Classic.
Coming off the second-most watched Stanley Cup Final on record, and the third-most watched NHL postseason in the last 18 years, NBC Sports Group will feature 12 games on NBC and 93 games on NBCSN. All games will be streamed live via NBC Sports Live Extra.
Schedule highlights include:
- Opening Night doubleheaders on Oct. 7 on NBCSN, beginning with a Wednesday Night Rivalry Original Six matchup between the defending Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks and New York Rangers at 8 p.m. ET, as the Blackhawks raise their 2015 Stanley Cup Championship banner to the UnitedCenter rafters. Opening Night coverage continues with a Wednesday Nightcap at 10:30 p.m. ET, when the Los Angeles Kings host the rival San Jose Sharks.
- NBC will present the 2016 Bridgestone NHL Winter Classic between the Montreal Canadiens and Boston Bruins from Gillette Stadium, home of the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots, on Jan. 1 at 1 p.m. ET.
- NBC will air exclusive coverage of the 2016 Coors Light NHL Stadium Series, featuring the Blackhawks and Minnesota Wild on Sunday, Feb. 21 from TCF Bank Stadium at the University of Minnesota, and the Detroit Red Wings and Colorado Avalanche at Coors Field, home of Major League Baseball’s Colorado Rockies, on Saturday, Feb. 27 in primetime.
- NBCSN will present coverage of the NHL All-Star Game from Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tenn., home of the Nashville Predators. NHL All-Star will take place Friday, Jan. 29 through Sunday, Jan. 31, and will include the NHL Fantasy Draft, NHL All-Star Skills Competition™ and the NHL All-Star Game.
- NBC airs the Discover NHL Thanksgiving Showdown with a doubleheader on Black Friday, beginning at 1 p.m. ET when the Boston Bruins host the Rangers. Thanksgiving Showdown shifts to the west coast at 5 p.m. ET on NBCSN with a rematch of the Western Conference Final, as the Anaheim Ducks host the Blackhawks.
- NBC and NBCSN will combine to showcase a tripleheader on Hockey Day In America on Sunday, February 21. The action starts on NBC at 12:30 p.m. ET, when the Buffalo Sabres host the Pittsburgh Penguins, followed by the NHL Stadium Series at 3:30 p.m. ET on NBC, with the Wild and Blackhawks. Hockey Day In America shifts to NBCSN with an Original Six matchup to close out the tripleheader, as the Rangers host the Detroit Red Wings.
- The 2015-16 regular season on NBCSN will feature 24 Wednesday Night Rivalry telecasts, plus six Wednesday Nightcaps that will showcase Western Conference teams, including the Kings, Sharks and Avalanche.
- NBCSN will air 12 Sunday Night Hockey matchups on NBCSN, beginning on January 10. Matchups include Penguins-Capitals, Lightning-Bruins, Blues-Wild, and Maple Leafs-Red Wings, in which first-year Toronto head coach Mike Babcock returns to Detroit to face the team he led for the past decade.
- The Blackhawks, Rangers, Penguins, Red Wings, Wild, Avalanche and Blues will each make 12 appearances across NBC and NBCSN, followed by four teams, including the Caps, that will appear 11 times. The Eastern Conference Champion Tampa Bay Lightning will make eight appearances across NBC and NBCSN.
- NBC and NBCSN will air rematches of the 2015 Eastern and Western Conference Finals. NBC will present Blackhawks-Ducks as part of the Thanksgiving Showdown doubleheader on Nov. 27 at 5 p.m. ET. NBCSN will present Rangers-Lightning on Wednesday, Nov. 30, and will also provide coverage of their matchup in New York on April 5, in what will be TampaBay’s first visit to MadisonSquareGarden since Game 7 of the Eastern Conference Final.
- Rangers-Penguins, Blackhawks-Wild, Capitals-Flyers, Penguins-Capitals and Kings-Sharks are the most featured regular-season matchups, each appearing three times across NBC and NBCSN.
- NBCSN will provide coverage of the first NHL matchup on U.S. soil between 2015 top NHL draft picks Connor McDavid (No. 1, Edmonton) and Jack Eichel (No. 2, Buffalo), when the Buffalo Sabres host the Edmonton Oilers on March 1.
- 57 of NBC and NBCSN’s 105 telecasts feature at least one Western Conference team, and every U.S. team will appear on NBC or NBCSN in the regular season.
Caps games televised on NBC Sports Group:
Wed., Oct. 28 vs. Pittsburgh NBCSN 8 p.m.
Wed., Nov. 18 at Detroit NBCSN 8 p.m.
Tues., Dec. 8 vs. Detroit NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Sun., Jan. 24 vs. Pittsburgh NBC 12:30 p.m.
Wed., Jan. 27 vs. Philadelphia NBCSN 8 p.m.
Tues. Feb. 2 vs. Florida NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Thurs. Feb. 4 vs. NY Islanders NBCSN 7:30 p.m.
Sun., Feb. 7 vs. Philadelphia NBC 12 p.m.
Sun., Feb. 28 at Chicago NBC 12:30 p.m.
Sun., March 20 at Pittsburgh NBCSN 6 p.m.
Wed., March 30 at Philadelphia NBCSN 8 p.m.
MORE CAPITALS: Caps in stickier situation with Johansson