All those good vibrations generated between the NHL and its players unionover the weekend evaporated with two words on Tuesday.No progress.That's how NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly described a brief meetingwith NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr on Tuesday as the two sides butted heads againon the key economic issues that forced the owners to shut down the league onSept. 16.I dont think that we have a lack of communication in this negotiation, Dalytold reporters in New York.They understand what our position is. To this point we certainly understandwhat their position is. We just wish it was different.In a nutshell, the two sides are at odds over how to divide an estimated 3.3 billion in annual revenue, an amount thatdwindles with each passing day. The leagues six-year proposal calls for the players share of revenuedecreasing from its current 57 percent to 47 percent. The players proposal does not seetheir share of revenue dropping below 52 percent.The obvious compromise is a 50-50 split, but neither side is willing to moveto that point, at least not until several games and millions of dollars arelost.Its clear that the players havemade substantial moves towards the owners and the owners have made substantialmoves away from the players, Fehr said.While both sides wait for the other to blink, the NHL is just days away fromcanceling its first large chunk of regular season games. The NHL regular seasonis scheduled to begin on Oct. 11, with the Caps slated to open the following nightat home against the New Jersey Devils.Daly said the league already has lost close to 100 million in revenue inthe first 17 days of the lockout. That number will grow exponentially if theNHL decides to cancel all games in October, which is likely to happen beforethe end of this week.That revenue is not going to be recouped and thats going to cost bothsides, Daly said.Actually, only the owners have lost real money through the first 17 days ofthe lockout. The players wont begin missing their bi-weekly paychecks untillate October and even then they will be receiving escrow checks amounting to roughly8.5 percent of last years salaries.But with league revenues down, so will be the players share of thatrevenue, turning this lockout into a lose-lose-lose-lose situation for owners,players, fans and the thousands of arena workers who will not be employedduring the work stoppage.If there is any silver lining in the negotiations it is the fact both sidescontinue to talk. Fehr indicated he will speak with NHL commissioner GaryBettman again on Wednesday and hopes to meet with him again before the end ofthe week.Got a reasonable solution to the stalemate? And in your opinion, how many games must be played to legitimize an NHL season? Join the conversation below.
The NHL draft is fast approaching. The first round will take place on Friday and it could be a busy night for the Capitals.
Washington currently holds the 25th pick in the draft. It will be the highest pick this team has had since taking Ilya Samsonov 22nd overall in the 2015 draft. The question, however, is will they stay there?
The more you look at the team’s situation, the more a move in either direction looks like a realistic possibility for the Caps. Here’s why.
Why the Caps could move up
In most situations, an NHL team should pick the best player available. Since most NHL prospects, including most players taken in the first round, will take years to develop before they see NHL action, it does not generally make sense to draft for an immediate need. When teams become fixated on drafting a certain position, it can lead to those teams passing on elite talent at other positions.
For Washington, however, they no longer can afford to ignore the team’s need for a difference-maker at forward.
You have to go all the way back to 2014 to find the last time the Caps drafted a forward in the first round when they drafted Jakub Vrana. Since then, however, they have drafted a goalie, two defensemen and have traded out of the first round completely.
The dearth of forward talent among the team’s prospects is starting to catch up to it. In a year in which the Caps need forward depth but have very little money to fill it, an ideal solution would be to plug any holes on the bottom six with cheap prospects.
Without any top-end forwards in the system, however, that is not really an option.
Riley Barber (sixth-round pick) is an unrestricted free agent and said he does not see himself re-signing with Washington. Nathan Walker (third-round pick) is also a UFA and, though he sounded more open to re-signing with the Caps than Barber, there is no guarantee he does not leave in free agency. Shane Gersich (fifth-round pick) and Garrett Pilon (third-round pick) still look like they need another year in Hershey. Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (fifth-round pick) has a whopping 16 games of North American experience and it is hard to know what exactly to expect from him. Kody Clark (second-round pick) and Riley Sutter (third-round pick) still need time to develop.
This team needs a high-end forward prospect, if not for this year then for the near future. It needs that guy who can infuse a bit of youth and excitement, as well as skill, back into the lineup when he gets a call-up. We are not talking about the next Connor McDavid here, just a top-six forward to add to the system because right now it does not appear Washington really has any top-six forwards besides the guys already in the NHL.
That needs to change.
There is value to be found late in the first round of the draft—Marcus Johansson was taken 24th overall in 2009, Evgeny Kuznetsov was 26th overall in 2010 and Andre Burakovsky was 23rd overall in 2013 just to name a few—but waiting for a good forward to drop into their laps this year may not be the ideal strategy knowing they need to pick a forward in the first round.
Moving up the draft will ensure they can grab one of the top forwards available. If they move up high enough, perhaps they could even snap someone who could potentially be ready to help the team in the latter half of the season, though that is a lot to ask of a young forward.
The point is Washington cannot afford to go with the usual “best available” mentality and see who falls to 25. General manager Brian MacLellan will have to get proactive and move up to ensure he gets the best available player at the position of need. We may not be talking Jack Hughes or Kaapo Kakko, but even moving up to the mid-round can dramatically affect the quality of prospects available.
Why the Caps could move down
Elliotte Friedman had an interesting note on the Caps in his latest 31 Thoughts column. He listed Washington among one of the most aggressive teams in trade talks saying generally of the NHL “we could see some frenetic attempts to move up and down.”
Friedman also wrote, “Other teams believe the Capitals are in total ‘go for it’ mode.”
When a team is in “go for It mode” and trying to win a Cup, the first-round draft pick can be useful trade bait to help bring in a significant piece and bolster the roster. Granted, Washington has very little cap room available so any trade would likely include sending salary with the pick which would, in turn, lower the value of return, but this team is just one year removed from winning the Cup. It is not as if they need to make a major addition to be a contender.
Trading away a first-round pick would be the exact opposite of addressing the team’s need for high-end prospect forward talent as written above, but it is hard to build a team for now and for the future. With Alex Ovechkin, Nicklas Backstrom, T.J. Oshie and Co. all in their 30s, it would be understandable why MacLellan would choose to go all-in on winning another Cup in the next few years.
Whether the Caps move up, down or stand pat, we will have all the latest analysis on NBC Sports Washington’s coverage of the draft starting at 8 p.m. on Friday.
MORE CAPITALS NEWS
The Stanley Cup no longer resides in Washington, and all eyes have shifted toward the offseason as the Capitals look to retool for next season. But, that doesn't mean we can't stop and appreciate the magical 2018 season now and again.
A week after reminiscing about the championship run and ensuing parade, the famous game show "Jeopardy!" gave us one more moment of glory on Monday night.
One of the clues featured in the latest episode had the Capitals as the answer and even featured Alexander Ovechkin.
It appears that one of the contestants did answer it correctly. More importantly, according to the replies, it was also cleared up that no one brought up the Pittsburgh Penguins during that round.
While it may be somewhat hard to cope with the fact that the Capitals will not be enjoying another offseason of championship partying in 2019 we can take pride in the fact that the question was about the Caps winning the Stanley Cup, and not centered around a dreaded title drought.
MORE CAPITALS NEWS: