On Thursday, The Washington Post published a story detailing accounts of serious sexual misconduct allegations against several former staff members of Washington's football team. Friday, the NFL released a statement in response to the report.
"These matters as reported are serious, disturbing and contrary to the NFL's values," the statement said. "Everyone in the NFL has the right to work in an environment free from any and all forms of harassment. Washington has engaged outside counsel to conduct a thorough investigation into these allegations.
Washington announced on Thursday that it has hired attorney Beth Wilkinson to conduct a "deep dive" into the past culture within the franchise. In The Washington Post story, Wilkinson was quoted saying: "The Washington Redskins football team takes issues of employee conduct seriously … While we do not speak to specific employee situations publicly, when new allegations of conduct are brought forward that are contrary to these policies, we address them promptly."
The league expects Washington to cooperate in full, and noted in the statement that following a conclusion of the investigation, action will be taken if necessary.
"The club has pledged that it will give its full cooperation to the investigator and we expect the club and all employees to do so," the statement said. "We will meet with attorneys upon the conclusion of their investigation and take any action based on the findings."
Former lead broadcaster and executive Larry Michael and personnel executives Richard Mann II and Alex Santos were named in the story, along with former business executives Dennis Greene and Mitch Gershman. Michael announced his retirement on Wednesday and Mann II and Santos were fired last week.
MORE TEAM NEWS