Redskins

Quick Links

DeSean Jackson doesn't care what you think about his OTA absence

jackson_otas_bubble.png

DeSean Jackson doesn't care what you think about his OTA absence

DeSean Jackson did not make any apologies for missing last week’s OTA practices.

“As far as any critics or anybody else, I don’t play for them and I don’t worry about them,” Jackson said Wednesday. “I live my life to do what I need to do, and I had things that were in important in my life. In regards to anything else, I don’t care about that.”

After missing all three practices at Redskins Park last week, the star wide receiver rejoined his teammates for the voluntary workouts on Tuesday—the first day of the second sessions of OTAs.

“I had personal things I had to do back home,” Jackson said. “I’m a veteran in this league, going into my eighth year. I [communicated] with my head coach. The guys here, they knew about it. I had things I had to do, and was obligated to do, back home in California. But I’m here now and I’m happy to be here with my teammates.”

He added: “As far as my body, my health, I’m in great shape. I very familiar with the offense, the system here. It’s not like I have to relearn something.”

That was apparent midway through practice when Jackson sprinted down the field, blowing past the defensive backs, and hauled in a touchdown pass from Kirk Cousins.   

“They have lives,” Coach Jay Gruden said of Jackson's absence. “This is a major part of what they do, obviously. We’d love to have everybody here, 100-percent [attendance]. I don’t know how many teams have a 100-percent. But I think we’ve had great participation, overall, from top to bottom of our roster. He had reasons for it. And I trust the fact that when he does come back…that he’s going to be in great shape. He’s a veteran guy. He knows the system. He’s an extremely intelligent person. I would have loved to have had him here. But it’s his choice not to be here. He came back, and he looks like he’s in good shape, didn’t miss a beat.”      

Quick Links

Redskins sign linebacker Jon Bostic to try and help make up for the loss of Reuben Foster

Redskins sign linebacker Jon Bostic to try and help make up for the loss of Reuben Foster

Two days after losing Reuben Foster for the year, the Redskins made a move to at least provide reinforcements to a weakened linebacker group.

On Wednesday, Washington announced that they have signed Jon Bostic, a six-year veteran. The 'Skins also officially placed Foster on injured reserve.

Bostic was a 2013 second-round pick of the Bears out of Florida. He's since bounced around to New England, Detroit, Indianapolis, and Pittsburgh, where he started 14 times for the Steelers in 2018 and posted 73 tackles. He's been traded twice in his career and missed all of 2016 with a foot injury. 

So, what does the move accomplish for the Redskins?

Well, Bostic — or any other free agent signing at this point — isn't going to have close to the level of talent and potential that Foster had. However, getting another option at linebacker was necessary for the Burgundy and Gold, and the 28-year-old has played in 30 contests over the past two years, so he's relatively established. 

Yes, he's far from a gamechanger, considering he has just one interception and 5.5 sacks as a pro. But he's regarded as a solid run defender and tackler and should at least push Mason Foster and Shaun Dion Hamilton. His presence also could alleviate some of the pressure that would've been on rookie Cole Holcomb. 

Signing a defender who's been with five franchises in six years isn't exactly inspiring, but Bostic has experience as a starter and could give the Redskins useful snaps on first and second down at a minimum. Now it's on him to take advantage of the opportunity he's been given.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS

Quick Links

Landon Collins is thrilled to be with the Redskins and can't wait to get revenge on the Giants

landon_collins_warm_ups.jpg
NBC Sports Washington

Landon Collins is thrilled to be with the Redskins and can't wait to get revenge on the Giants

You may not know the exact dates of the Redskins' two matchups with the Giants this season, which will take place Sep. 29 and Dec. 22 in 2019. But Landon Collins sure does.

"I'm gonna circle it for the next six years," the 'Skins new safety told ESPN in a recent interview. 

No, Collins isn't circling those dates from now until 2024 because he wants to be very organized and ensure he doesn't have any scheduling conflicts. He's doing it because he's dying to get revenge on his former team, who let him leave as a free agent in part because of their "culture change," according to him.

"All we wanted to do was win, and we spoke up because we had to get them to listen to us," Collins told ESPN, referring to himself and other now ex-Giants like Odell Beckham and Damon Harrison. "I think we were too vocal, and that platform was bigger than the Giants... If it's not good media, they don't want that kind of media."

In addition to the organization wanting to go in a different direction culture-wise, New York didn't want to pay the amount of money the Redskins ended up paying for Collins because he wasn't an ideal fit in their defense. The 25-year-old pushes back against the idea that he's strictly a "box safety," though, as do current and former players.

Interestingly enough, Collins isn't the only member of the Redskins' secondary who's in D.C. thanks to a decision by Dave Gettleman. Gettleman was also the same guy who decided the Panthers needed to move on from Josh Norman in April 2016.

Collins, for one, doesn't sound like he'll miss Gettleman at all. The defender didn't love how the GM consistently failed to make an effort to connect personally with his players. 

"I don't know him, he don't know me, that's kind of how it just kind of was," he explained.

All that, however, doesn't matter anymore. Collins is going to be the foundation of the Redskins' defense for quite some time, and that's a challenge he's ready to accept.

"I'm on a team that loves me and wanted me here," he said.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS