When Kirk Cousins threw an overtime pick-6 that cost the Redskins the game against Atlanta last Sunday, it sounded like head coach Jay Gruden was defending his QB in postgame comments and throughout much of the week leading up to the Jets game. After a second consecutive bad outing from Cousins against the Jets, Gruden again backed up his QB. Here's a sampling of the most relevant quotes.
On the interceptions:
- "His first interception was a simple three-man concept on one side and then a two-man on the left and he looked right, was covered, and he went back to the left and threw a late ball in the flat against a roll-up corner which can't happen, obviously."
- "Unfortunately on that one he didn't see Revis and he made a great play."
- "The second one was 3rd down and long and he took a shot. That one was not as bad."
- "So that was like a long punt, actually, on third and long."
On how much longer the Redskins can live with multiple INTs:
- "I'd like to see what happens when we get our full cast of characters back. But there were some opportunities there for Kirk to make some plays and I think he missed some throws. He threw an interception that, obviously, was a tough throw. But we have invested a lot of time this season in Kirk and we'd like to see the film before we move forward with any kind of crazy decisions. We stand behind Kirk."
More on Cousins' first interception:
- "I'll have to check the film out, and he came back late. That's tough. He's not the only quarterback in history that's made a poor decision or a poor throw and it won't be the last he does it. He's a young quarterback and he'll learn from it. We all will."
Any reasons for Cousins' mistakes?
- "I'll have to look at the film. Like I said, it was also a little windy. Also, he had a lot of pressure on him really. There were a lot of things going on pre-snap that he's got to deal with, getting the formations, the protections, all that."
- "They (Jets) played pretty vanilla today.'
- "I think he hurried on some throws he didn't have to, or maybe he did, but I'll have to look at the film."
- "Overall, you hate to pin this game on Kirk. I know he could have played better, but we had no running game whatsoever, and Kirk's not in that stage of his career right now, nor is anybody on our roster, to carry our team throwing the ball as much as we would have had to today."
Is Cousins the starter going forward?
- "Yes. That's the intent."
What's the intent of this article? Decide for yourself in the comments.