With the calendar rolling to mid-February, some important dates will pop up in the next few weeks as the Redskins work on a new deal with Kirk Cousins. Here they are.
- February 15 - First day teams can assign franchise or transition tags. Teams have a two-week window to assign tags.
- March 1 - Deadline for teams to apply franchise or transition tag hits at 4 p.m. Last year, the 'Skins waited until just before the deadline to place the franchise tag on Cousins. Remember, if Washington again places the franchise tag on Cousins, the team and player have until mid-July to work on a long-term deal.
- Feb. 28 to March 6 - NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. Not only is the combine important for Washington to scout and watch players for the upcoming NFL Draft, the combine also serves as a central meeting point for executives and agents from around the NFL to talk and discuss free agency. Just prior or at the combine is when fans should expect to really hear what interest the Redskins have in long-term deals with free agent players like DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garçon, Chris Baker, and most importantly, Cousins.
- March 7 to March 9 - NFL teams can negotiate with the agents of free agent players from noon on March 7 to 3:59:59 p.m. on March 9. Players are not allowed to visit teams, and restricted free agents are not able to negotiate in this period.
- March 9 - First day of the new NFL year begins at 4 p.m., and with it the opening of free agency. New salary cap calculations will go into effect as well. It remains highly unlikely Cousins hits free agency.
- March 26 to March 29 - NFL Owner's Meetings in Phoenix.
- April 27 to Apirl 29 - NFL Draft in Philadelphia.
The first big threshold for the 'Skins to cross with Cousins will be this Wednesday, the 15th, when teams can begin to tag players. Don't expect any sudden moves, as the organization waited until the day of the deadline last year to make the tag official.
More offseason questions: What are resonable expectations for Josh Doctson? | Will there be a surprise salary cap cut? | Should the Redskins defense switch to the 4-3? | Is Spencer Long the answer at center?
Want more Redskins? Check out @JPFinlayCSN for live updates or click here for the #RedskinsTalk Podcast on iTunes, here for Google Play or press play below. Don't forget to subscribe!