Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, December 8, three days before the Washington Redskins play the Philadelphia Eagles.
—Today's schedule: Joe Barry news conference 12:40; Practice 1:05; Jay Gruden and Sean McVay news conferences and open locker room after practice approx. 3:00
—Days until: Panthers @ Redskins 11; Redskins @ Bears Christmas Eve 16; Giants @ Redskins, New Year’s Day 24
Injuries of note vs. Cardinals:
Out: G Long (concussion), S Blackmon (concussion), DE Baker (ankle), DE Jean Francois (knee/foot), G Lauvao (groin)
Limited: TE Reed (shoulder), G Scherff (ankle
Wednesday injury report
QB Kirk Cousins—It’s on his shoulders. Not just this game but the entire playoff run. He can’t have an off day, not even one like the Arizona game where he was off for just part of the game. Cousins doesn’t have to be perfect on every throw but for this team to win he has to be very good every quarter.
OT Trent Williams—Back from his four-game suspension, Williams can’t miss a beat in returning to his All-Pro form. Any mistake, much less any sacks allowed, will open him up to further criticism that he left the team in a bad spot.
WR DeSean Jackson—The dynamic here has become more intriguing since media reports of mutual interest between Jackson and his former team have emerged. Jackson has done his thing the last two games, catching passes for long gains. But if he is going to be of value down the stretch (and of value to any other team next year) he is going to need to get his hands on some shorter and intermediate passes as well.
OLB Preston Smith—He was a regular on this list until he came up big against the Vikings. But he has since disappeared again and needs to come on strong for the team’s stretch run.
ILB Will Compton—He has been coming under fire lately for ineffective play, including missed tackles and being out of position on occasion. The Redskins need him to raise the level of his game if they are going to land in the postseason.
Tandler on Instagram
In case you missed it
- Trent Williams going to guard? 'I don't really know how to address that'
- Rookie hazing: DeSean Jackson turns Kendall Fuller around
- Jordan Reed back at practice with Redskins
- Redskins Stat Breakdown: What worked and what didn't in Arizona
- Long injury list hampers Redskins practice
- Williams back but suspension circumstances remain a mystery
- Williams, Lichtensteiger return for Redskins
- Pierre-Paul injury a big loss for Redskins' playoff rival
- Redskins' playoff chances trending in the wrong direction
- Lichtensteiger getting set to make return from IR
- Redskins looking for fifth in a row over Eagles