Here is what you need to know on this Monday, February 27, 2 days before the March 1 NFL franchise tag deadline.
—NFL Combine (3/2) 3
—Start of NFL free agency (3/9) 10
—Redskins offseason workouts start (4/17) 49
—NFL Draft (4/27) 59
—First Sunday of 2017 season (9/10) 195
Monday morning Redskins musings as free agency approaches
1. It appears that the Raiders are going to let Latavius Murray, who rushed for over 1,800 yards combined in the last two seasons, test free agency.
I'm told #OAK expects to let RB Latavius Murray go into FA. Source: "The door will remain open for a posb return after he tests his market."— IG: JosinaAnderson (@JosinaAnderson) February 26, 2017
I’d be surprised if the Redskins showed any interest. I’m not sure that they will be jumping into the RB free agent pool, at least not into the deep (expensive) end of it. They might draft a back to compete with Rob Kelley, Matt Jones, and Mack Brown. Chris Thompson will remain the third-down back.
2. Do you wonder why the Redskins have been reluctant to draft a safety?
It's a tough eval because it's such a scheme-specific position now in the NFL. Moneybacker, center fielder, big nickel box guy. https://t.co/TUxVO8GD4r— Doug Farrar (@NFL_DougFarrar) February 26, 2017
Eventually, someone will need to figure out the safety position in the NFL. With all the spread offenses that safeties face in college the safeties have become more like additional corner. Also, the better defensive backs in college want to be cornerbacks because it pays better in the pros. The pool coming out is generally small to begin with and then it shrinks even further for each team due to the scheme factors that Farrar discusses. Su'a Cravens could be the solution to one safety spot for the Redskins but they continue to be in search of someone to pair with him.
RELATED: NFL Mock Draft Version 4.0
3. The Jets allowed C Nick Mangold to announce his own release. He was one of the best centers of the past decade; Mangold went to seven Pro Bowls and was named first-team All-Pro twice. But I don’t see him being of interest to the Redskins. They are happy with Spencer Long and even if they weren’t, Mangold is 33 and he missed half of last season with an ankle injury. Those factors likely will make the Redskins steer clear.
4. Maybe some fans don’t care if they are getting information from the team through the media at the combine. Or at the Senior Bowl. Or anywhere. And it is the team’s option to have someone available or not during most of the offseason (a press conference prior to the draft is mandatory). But they are missing out on a chance to give their side of the story.
One of the problems with changing what has been a longstanding practice and going into radio silence is that it leaves people speculating. If the team doesn’t want to put any information out there that is the organization’s option. But if you choose not to fill in the blanks, the fans and media will.
More Redskins: #RedskinsTalk podcast: Is Kirk too nice for his own good?
5. We have another D-lineman signed as the Panthers retained DE Mario Addison.
The #Panthers signed DE Mario Addison to a 3-year deal worth $22.5M, source said. At 29 years old, he had 9.5 sacks in 2016.— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 26, 2017
Addison, who was with the Redskins for five games in 2012, also had six and 6.5 sacks the previous two year, not bad for a guy who has started just one game in the last three seasons. That average of just over $7 million per year sets another data point for the Redskins to use to try to retain Chris Baker. Addison is a 4-3 end while Baker is a 3-4 end so it’s not an apples to apples comparison but it will help figuring out what a reasonable contract is. Without seeing the details, it looks like Addison gave the Panthers something of a hometown discount as that’s a good price for a guy who was half a sack away from double digits.
In case you missed it
- A Redskin fan's guide to the NFL Combine
- Why won’t Redskins brass talk to the media at the NFL Combine?
- Sunday six pack—Cousins' next step and a positive step for Doctson